What is the App some brokers require on your phone?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by tscottme, May 4, 2018.

1. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    I also run a business and I couldn't disagree with you any more if you told me my ex wife was a chaste and faithful woman. This kind of Big Brother stuff may seem normal to Millenials but to me it's a pure invasion. If you don't trust me to get the load there safe and on time, then don't sell me the load in the first place. Fortunately, I've cultivated a couple direct ship customers who keep me as busy as I want to be,so brokered loads are pretty infrequent. But if you want an app on your phone that can be activated at anytime, more power to you. Wave at them on that driver facing camera while you're at it.

shogun and whoopNride Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    I have it on my current load. It's really no big deal. I understand some of the folks not liking big brother, but you're just going to have to accept and learn the technology or get left behind. Not trying to offend, just offering my opinion.

dunchues Thanks this.
  4. Lightseeker35

Lightseeker35 Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Unless your completely off the grid "Big Brother" is already on you. I'm almost certain you have a smartphone/computer unless your running your business via telegram.

5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I get some, believe it or not, QUALITY loads from a certain three letter broker (everyone's favorite!) that starts with a T and ends with an L and they will take these particular loads back from you after booking if you refuse to accept macropoint no matter how big of a bind they are in to cover them. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying you're gonna lose out sometimes out here standing up for nothing really. Their only interest is in making money the same as you and me. Freight pickings have been kinda slim for a good 6 months now and only gonna get worse, you can't get too choosy over something you know is good.

6. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    I suppose you are right. I don't haul for T ends with L so maybe that is why I haven't had a problem. I have never been able to get a decent rate from them in my area. I don't have a reefer either though.

I am not really standing up for anything, I just don't like the idea. So far I haven't had to use it, and haven't had a single load taken back. No need to start now.

You are right about the slim pickings since July. I did great until June 30th, so so since then. I have enjoyed a lot of time off!!!

Broke Down 69 and shogun Thank this.
  7. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    That's fine but you'll run across it eventually. Some broker will be hard headed about it and will move on to a carrier that doesn't have an issue with it.

8. sam2016!

sam2016! Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2018
    Please help me understand how Macropoint tracks loads when the driver relays it to another driver; the phone dies; the phone is stolen or breaks, the driver shuts off the phone and goes home for the day/night, whatever; the list goes on and on. Help me understand how a company driver is forced into for using their personal phones for business tasks. You cannot enforce this unless you as a business owner are able and willing to pay for their cellular service; Freight rates don't account for that. Why is it left to the carrier to absorb this cost?
    If customers want LOADS tracked, drivers shouldn't be forced to download an the app or not pull the load, CUSTOMERS should invest in a small battery operated GPS device to place with/on the loads for tracking purposes. This is the true way of tracking the LOAD!...
    Just my $.02

p608 Thanks this.
  9. Lightseeker35

Lightseeker35 Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2017
    I can assure rates will go down if customers need to provide tracking devices for their loads. How will they get these devices back? Driver or consignee mails it back to the shipper? The only way I see this working is if your hauling round trip loads assuring the tracking device makes it back to the shipper. I wonder if this was implemented due to lack of communication between drivers and customers/brokers. If a driver believes he/she is absorbing the cost than add it to your operating costs and negotiate a rate that covers it.

10. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Well it's actually pretty ridiculous to complain about the cost of macropoint on your phone. What costs are you talking about specifically? It's never cost me anything on my phone plan. What sort of plan do you have where it costs you? I pay $260 a month for top shelf internet/cell services both at home and the business. It costs the brokers and others who use it a lot of money. But that's just an everyday cost of doing business for them and they most certainly cover it. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. If you don't want to use macropoint just say no.

11. flightconn

flightconn Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2018
    CH Robinson keeps asking that I upload their App on my phone. I understand why they would want this but I pay every dollar for my phone and Data. Seems like this is something the shipper or owner should provide. Just looking for opinions not an argument

Schoob Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.