What is the best fuel mileage truck/engine combination?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Evilcapitalist, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Evilcapitalist

Evilcapitalist Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Aiken,SC
    I have put in the application to get on with Landstar. If I get approved, I need a truck. I will be a first time purchaser. I have started 3 other threads, but I am not getting much feed back. I will try once more with this one.

What is the best truck/engine combo? Does it matter as long as it has the "aerodynamic hood"? How about engine manufacturer? Horsepower? Tranny? Gear ratio? I want the truck that gets the BEST fuel economy. I don't care who makes it or what it looks like. I want 7 to 8 mpg if I can get it.

THANKS !!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Double L

Double L Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Illinois
    A lot with depend on your driving habits, head wind or tail win, weight, and most importantly your gearing.

I'm in the process of buying a 95 International 9400 with 3.90 rears and 9spd with a 430hp Detroit and plan on pulling dry van in Illinois with it until I turn 21 then upgrade to a better truck for when I got over the road. The guy that owned it last who is my boss said he averaged 6.5-7 mpg with it.

4. 550hpW900L

550hpW900L Road Train Member

Jan 29, 2008
    norcal
    You will get a million different answers on this subject so you might as well get something you will enjoy.

5. Double L

Double L Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Illinois
    Like 550 buy something you'll be happy with that'll also make you money. I failed to mention where do you plan on running most of the time? That'll tell ya how you should spec your truck out so you get the most out of the engine and fuel mileage.

6. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Buy an aero truck, align the wheels and keep the tires inflated properly, using low profile tires. If pulling a box get a condo or some kind of device to direct airflow away from the front of the trailer, if the 5th wheel will slide run it as far ahead as you can to keep the front of the trailer close to the wings on the tractor, get those wings on the tractor and get fairings over the fuel tanks if you are running OTR.

The truck should be specced to keep the engine in the proper rpm range while cruising, usually 1400rpm is considered optimal for a Detroit 60 Series, possibly less with the ISX Cummins and definitely less with the big Cats. The smaller displacement engines would be run at higher RPMs to make them as responsive as a big block

If you are going to run in states with different speed limits, you probably should at least have an OD trans, and probably a 13speed. You need to keep the RPMs down but still not be lugging too much when driving the double nickel roads.

Learn to shift progressively, and don't run against the governor.

7. cluck-cluck

cluck-cluck Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2008
    walnut ridge, ar.
    I would also suggest 3.55s or 3.36s, I like the 3.36 but thats just me.

8. sgreer78

sgreer78 Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2008
    St Louis, MO
    If you go to somewhere like Selectrucks they have old Swift Columbias with 13 speeds, and 2.93 rears. That puts you right at 66mph at 1400rpms. That's plenty fast in most states.

9. 24valve puller

24valve puller Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    N.E. Oh
    and with an old swift truck you are guaranteed that it will have had almost all body pannels replaced and the crap beat out of them

10. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled

If Swift is running 13s they aren't all bad. I'd rather see it a bit taller for running 48 states with a 13 direct, with the split you can still keep the RPMs close to optimal by dropping the half gear. It is a matter of preference though, the 18 I'm driving now is geared a little short of that, I just stay in high most of the time.

11. gtn428

gtn428 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2008
    groton,MA
    it depends on the freight you plan to haul.....if you are doing flatbed get a truck with a mid roof for the best fuel economy, If you are going to pull van or refer get a full hight aero truck........flatbed gets better fuel economy then van/refer.....I hope this helps:)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.