What is the best type flashlight and best brand battery?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by candun, Jun 7, 2009.

The best flashlight for truck driver is...

1. *

a large, heavy duty Magnum

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. *

a small hand-sized Magnum

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. *

a forehead mounted light

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. one that takes "lantern" batteries

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. *

a high-quality LED handheld

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  6. *

anything that's cheap and shines light

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. candun

candun Bobtail Member

May 27, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    I remember my dad had a Magnum flashlight that was built like a Space Shuttle component. I don't think a nuclear blast would have damaged it! However, I'm sure it was very expensive, plus it was heavy. I've also heard some say that the big ones aren't available any more.

I also remember having an old "lantern" battery style flashlight that was big and bulky. It seems to have the benefit of having a flat bottom so you can lay it down and it won't move. I'm not sure if the big lantern battery inside is a positive for long life or a negative for weight.

I've also heard some talk about forehead mounted lights that always shine light where you are looking. However, I'm not sure how powerful and long lasting they are.

Anybody want to offer their wisdom for the best flashlight for a truck driver?

Also, what is the best value in flashlight batteries? I'm sure, there are cheap ones that die quickly and expensive ones that last long. Its not as easy to say without experience which of those options provides the best value. Are there any cheap brands that also last a long time?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coonass

Coonass "Freshy Fresh"

Sep 23, 2008
    You just CAN"T beat the 4 D Mag flash lights.

SM_D and panhandlepat Thank this.
  4. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    I have:

- a wind-up flashlight in the driver's door pocket for when I do my vehicle walk arounds

- a rechargeable 2,000,000 candle power spot light behind the seat for things like reading street signs in the dark

- a head-light for doing things like putting on chains, or any repairs in the dark

- two mag-style penlights, one in my tool box and one by my bed

The best flashlight? There isn't "one".

5. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    good point LNF!!! i need one of those spots, i HATE trying to read street signs in the dark:biggrin_2552:

6. nikondvr

nikondvr Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2007
    What he said

7. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Best D or C battery is a DuraCell; Energizers collapse.

I have a 6 D Maglite, and have had several other sizes, it's where you need a structurallly tough battery, even the 4 D ones need a good battery.

I like the small LED lights and have probably had 15 AA Maglites. I don't like the clip,on cap lights.

I carry a 10 to 20 million candlepower searchlight but I seldom use it, would use it more reading street signs in the city or backing up to a dark dock, but don't do much of that at present;it's more for emergency use. It also has a good LED light built in. Have several that you can use, they tend to get lost in a truck, and sometimes it's good to have more than 1 in reach.

8. GAPrincess

GAPrincess Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2009
    lostNfounds seems to have a pretty comprehensive and reasonable list. :yes2557: I can't think of anything to add, other than I prefer Duracell Ultra batteries. Standard Duracells will do in a pinch, but Rayovac's seem to have the shortest life of any battery I have used. They are down there with your generic supermarket or store brand battery in my book.

9. gearjammer-2000

gearjammer-2000 <strong>Clutch User</strong>

Dec 18, 2007
    columbus Ohio
    don't forget a 4 to 6 d maglite has another useful trait, as a self defense weapon properly used they will bring down a 5oo lb gorilla.

GAPrincess Thanks this.
  10. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Here's a minor issue that could turn into a big one. If you have flammble on the truck the flashlight needs to be approved for use in explosive atmospheres.

Maglites are the best. I always carried one on my belt and the company provided the 6 "D" Maglite I kept in the truck.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  11. didntitellu

didntitellu Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Ohio
    I agree with the other posts. A heavy Mag light is great, but I do have 2 of the cheap LED pen lights as well as a few other misc sources of light. I am cheap so value is important. And if you dont loose that Mag light you will have it forever.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.