What is the best way to adjust tandems when truck has no trailer brake?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Death Hauler, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Death Hauler

Death Hauler Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Im a new owner operator and I bought my first truck (2006 VNL D12) completely overlooking the fact that it has no trailer break/Johnson bar. I was used to sliding the tandem to where it should be and then pulling the Johnson bar while in motion to lock the pins on the tandems. Since there is no Johnson bar, how do I set the tandems?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Set the trailer brakes and adjust, rinse and repeat as needed

Bakerman, KB3MMX, KillingTime and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Rob100100

Rob100100 Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Lol

KB3MMX and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Mudguppy Thanks this.
  6. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
  7. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    You're both wrong. A Johnson bar is a ratcheting locking lever. Throttles on old steam locomotives, hand brake on trucks before they had spring brakes.

You're right in the trailer hand brake isn't a Johnson bar.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I know what exactly the OP is trying to do. He doesn't want to create a lot of stress on the power train and drive line. The only thing I could think of is start rolling with plenty of room and pull on the trailer brake valve and hope for the best on getting on the right holes. Some trailers have those safety bars or whatever they call them. You slide them out and line it up where you want it. If you don't have those bars, I'm sure you can purchase a couple.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    Unplug the trailer Supply (RED) airline, & the Brakes will come on, Slide tandem. Plug Gladhand back together.

Good to Go..

Puje Thanks this.
  10. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    If the brakes on the trailer are good, just set them, rock the truck a little after you pull the pin and slide them. Easy Peasy. If not you might need to find something to help hold the trailer, like a curb.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Know about the Johnson bar on steam engines.In the trucking business,a Johnson bar was the duck billed lever with little wheels on it,that is on every freight dock in the country.In the old days when you had to tighten up a crate,pallet,etc. you grabbed a Johnson bar to lift the edge up.

johnson barunknown
    A tool used by 'railroad engineers' (now archaic on modern locomotives and loading docks)

1) A Johnson Bar, aka "J"-bar, is a lever-dolly; (a wheeled prybar having an extended handle and a deep reverse-beveled nose-iron), which is used to jockey heavy apparatus into position.

2) A hand lever with several distinct positions and a positive clutch to hold the lever in the selected position. The positive clutch is typically activated with a spring-loaded squeeze handle on the lever so that only one hand is needed to release the clutch, move the lever, then reengage the clutch.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.