What is the correct order to get HAZMAT on CDL permit in California

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ThisisMeUsee, Jun 2, 2023.

1. ThisisMeUsee

ThisisMeUsee Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Hello, I have only a CDL permit and recently went back to the DMV and was able to take the HAZMAT written test after presenting my ELDT certificate. I was under the impression that I had to get a TSA precheck and fingerprinting before I could even take the written test, or have the actual CDL beforehand but the girl behind the counter didn't mention it.

So I still need to get the TSA fingerprint but will they accept my permit because I still don't have the actual CDL license. And how does that work because I heard the CDL permit can only hold so many endorsements.

Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    A hazmat endorsement cannot be applied to a CLP. Most states allow you do the preliminaries while you have the CLP but the endorsement is applied to the CDL after it’s issued.

Bean Jr., tscottme and Lav-25 Thank this.
  4. Lav-25

Lav-25 Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    The permit first ( you can take all the tests at that time , they'll- dmv - will record pass / fail ) but those are not endorsements. Like the man said above , once you have the cdl , then tsa, then actual license with endorsements. ( once you pass the school , then go to dmv, all the tests except hazmat will go on as endorsments) then tsa , then once that clears then back to dmv to add it on with another license issue ( you will go through 2 licenses)

5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Take the written test, then DMV gives you 90 days to do TSA to get your background check. I believe it cost around $130 or so, and that’s just for the background check and to get your hazmat approve, for another 60 or so(package deal) you can get a TWIC card also. Been there don’t that in Commiefornia.

6. Twistin' throttles

Twistin' throttles Light Load Member

May 23, 2018
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    This was my experience as well.

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

It varies by state. Some states you cannot complete everything for HazMat until after the TSA letter.

Lav-25 and dibstr Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.