What is the hairiest road you've been on?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by BigHeadWeb, Nov 1, 2016.

1. BigHeadWeb

BigHeadWeb Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2015
    GTA, Ontario
    I'm training with Humber College for my Class A license, and my trainer had me get off the northbound DVP at Eglinton East and drive west all the way to Mountain Grove. At 3:30 pm. Needless to say, as a newbie, this was a pucker factor 10 for me (traffic, construction, pedestrians, etc). I'm sure there's crazier drives out there, so where are they?

Pullin2 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Y'all have roads up there with hair???

:eek: Dang!!! :eek:

dca, Blackshack46, magoo68 and 6 others Thank this.
  4. BigHeadWeb

BigHeadWeb Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2015
    GTA, Ontario
    We have to keep them warm in the winter.

dca, magoo68, PermanentTourist and 6 others Thank this.
  5. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Oh, now it all makes total sense.... thanks. :D

6. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Not sure which but I remember the guy that tought me how to drive .
    Truck was a 79 road comander , 290 Cummins 10 speed .
    We left st Paul MN in a snowstorm bound for st Louis mo and soon after he jumped in the sleeper and handed me a piece of paper with directions and said " shes hilly narrow curvy and rough but other than that it's a good road "
    ( Winter of 85) .
    Was a long night !
    From st Louis went to Hoboken NJ and from there to Beulah nd .
    Don't know how we slept at all lol .

dca, austinmike, x1Heavy and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. FwL

FwL Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Sandpoint, ID
    In-SHUCK-ch Forest Service Road in BC just east of Mount Currie on Hwy 99.

Spent the better part of one summer hauling oversize pipe loads up that road for a hydro project. There were several spots on that road where one mistake meant GAME OVER.

x1Heavy and bzinger Thank this.
  8. texasbbqbest

texasbbqbest Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    I believe they call them "landing strips"....

KillingTime and Cottonmouth85 Thank this.
  9. Mullet_Head87

Mullet_Head87 Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Clearwater
    Not what you asked, but reminded me of a funny story that happened to me....second day driving on highway at roadmaster tampa and one guy was having trouble learning to shift the 1st day. So the instructor wanted to scare him into learning.....we would take an easy route off and on 75s and back to the training track. When I was driving, thinking we would take the usual 75s ramp, he turns to me and says "we're gonna do the figure 8 with up shifting and downshifting" turn here!!!! It was a figure 8 (on and off ramps) us301and i4 with him screaming slow! Downshift! Accelerate! Upshift! Slow! Watch your lane!!! Downshift!!!! With the three other students in the back getting rocked and jolted about. But when he was done with me going thru that he turned to the guy in the back that was having trouble shifting and said "u see what he just did"? "You keep having trouble shifting I'll put you through the 8 . Later, he told us that he put 2 other fresh newbies thru the same thing and one had a panic attack and the other had to go to the hospital cause of heart attack. For only having an hour or so of highway experience I did pretty well but crapped my pants. Screenshot_2016-11-02-00-43-48.png

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    After careful thought, it has to be route 8 in CT between I95 and I84 I think it was, I'll have to look it up. There was a route that needed to go north from 95 across the ridges in the late 80's for a load to deliver not far from that area. I remember it as 8 but it's something else now.

Problem.

I get on this road, a major dividied 4 laner. Pavement ran out 3 miles later totally leaving a dirt and mud track protected by a state installed sign in orange. Boiler plate legalese basicailly says you are on your own risk from that point north. It is not recommended to travel.

What to do? Boss yelling, get it there. Ok fine. Whatever.

A foot of mud, gravel etc. to fight. Came to my first major bridge crossing. Evaluated it under construction. No bridge decking. However there was beams laid exactly the width of my 1983 freightliner cabover and inside dual tires leaving the outside tires to hang over the edges of these beams while crossing. I hung out side of my window staring at my steer straight down with about a inch to two inch error space before the whole thing topples into the river far below, at a distance far enough down to ensure a messy death.

One bridge. Two bridge and done delivered. 34 tons. Empty? Intead of coming out on the newbergh, like a idiot I go back down that road on the other side crossing these bridges now empty. Discovered that everything was more tippy because being empty it bounces really easy from beam to beam on spring suspension. Bounce slide, correct, bounce slide recorrect eyeball trailer trying to fall over into the river and drag me with it attempt a higher mathematic correction input into steering wheel that is unnatural to keep it all on the beams...

At one point that trailer was on one wheel. I refuse to describe further.

I had nightmares for about 6 years. It was that intense.

And so stupid. Flat Effing stupid. Crazy even. Insane. Actually commit me on haldol drip 24/7 and behind three locked doors and staff....

QuietStorm, clausland and BigHeadWeb Thank this.
  11. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Coquihalla in the winter, top of the world highway from Dawson city to Alaska.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.