What is the hairiest road you've been on?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by BigHeadWeb, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    I can show you pictures where it's totally red along with the tank of retardant I was pulling. One day it was so bad that 747 when down to lake and loaded up with water and washed my rig down.. 738 was Elvis. When they load up with that hose, they suck up 26 gallons (over 32 OS Gallons) per second.

fargonaz and Pullin2 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PermanentTourist

PermanentTourist Heavy Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    This was a couple of years ago, I have been out of training for only a month or so. I still tended to blindly follow the qualcomm no matter how retarded it's "shortcuts" may be.

I was hauling 40000+ pounds from Amarillo to SLC and somewhere between Trinidad and Pueblo qualcomm decided we're gonna take a "shortcut". It had me get off 25 and head west into the mountains. Instead of staying on 25 till Denver and taking 70 or even 80 like a sane person, I blindly followed. Did I mention it was midnight, January, and snowing?

Anyway, somehow hours later I emerged in Grand Junction, still alive but barely. Quite an experience for a total rookie. I don't remember the route exactly, was too busy trying not to die.

4. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB

5. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Never trust a GPS

QuietStorm Thanks this.
  6. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    I could tell that route had the potential to be really scenic, if I could see anything through the blizzard. Might try it again sometime - during the day, in the summer, and with a light load. Otherwise, I-70 is pretty enough for me.

7. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    Yeah, I learned that lesson there

8. Hu999

Hu999 Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2017
    The Coquihalla is a doddle , just chain up and take your turn.

9. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I took that top of the world highway back in 1992. From Tok to Dawson. Fun drive, but I was on holidays in my car.

10. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    Not the worst road in the world, but I've had my share of "oh ####" moments on it. Highway 144 in northern Ontario. It connects sudbury to Timmins. Anyone who is familiar with it will know why. There are no shoulders!

Oh, and sultan. Had good times on sultan in the winter a few times lol. Corners are slippery on bush roads cmin

tinytim and orcen Thank this.
  11. jimbo47

jimbo47 Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2013
    southern MB
    lol back in the old country(Scotland early 80s) hauling stone to a bridge job in tippers,,up in the mountains among the trees ,was driving an old ford with a 140 hp engine ,8spd so hammer down one side,of the glen hammer over the cattle grid( watching the grid jump as you hit it) on the way up and try to get to the top and do it again BUT if you had just a little to much on ,,,, reverse down ,turn on a forestry track and reverse up , was a single lane road with passing places and other young loons coming back empty ,learned a lot on that job as a rookie ...nothing like your heart missing a beat as your nearly at the top in reverse and you see another guy coming over the top.....................mad days but the old hands taught us to be drivers(sometimes you would be asked to walk to the back o the truck to explain why you did something hehe lol )and accidents were rare.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.