What is the most physically demanding local job?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Roadgeek395, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Roadgeek395

Roadgeek395 Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Hello everyone!

I'm sure there's going to be lots of different opinions, but I'm looking to see what you think the most physically demanding local jobs are and why.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Food service, hands down. Be it beverage or restaurant, you WILL fingerprint every single box in that trailer. Generally TWICE! Plus muscling that two wheeler around. Have fun!

dan31186, Shaggy, QuietStorm and 5 others Thank this.
  4. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
  5. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    My opinion is food service delivery. Moving a lot of cases up and down ramps all day, multi stops. Or running a yard switcher position with a regular truck, I have done that and moved 30 trailers. Getting in and out, cranking landing gear, lowering, opening and shutting all those doors, pulling 5th wheels can make for a long day.

Local multi stop flatbed work is taxing too, lots of strapping and unstrapping. I do multi stop runs usually up to 600 miles, home daily but the most physical part of my job is airing up tires, maintenance issues. I do help turn skids for forklift drivers if they are loaded sideways but the floors are slick, so even 500-1000 lbs can be manipulated if you are relatively strong.

Justrucking2 and Dan.S Thank this.
  6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    Everyone is going to say food service. They are wrong. I've done food service. pffffffffftttttttt, child's play and at least you are compensated for it. I've done 1500 case days with a few hundred miles driving, once you get good at food service, it's not that bad.

Try a trim shop. Windows, doors and trim. 16' long pieces of trim. Heavy as fudge on your shoulder. Windows doors? yeah, you pick those up by hand too. on your forearm and up you go. Never use a two wheelers. Which is ok, because there's rarely any concrete. These places are under construction. It's all dirt, mud, maybe some boards. Windows and doors (esp exterior doors) are HEAVY and awkward as hell. The trim has to be gently laid down or it breaks. Oh, none of this stuff can get wet either while you are transporting it, because then it won't stain or paint correctly. So you have to wrap it up (in the trailer) in plastic and then throw it on your shoulder and walk in the mud/snow/ice whatever to get it inside the house/building.

And all this for maybe $20/hour (usually less). Much much worse than food delivery.

7. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    picking up a 300-pound barmaid that can't stay on the stool and the rest is self-explanatory

QuietStorm and Coover Thank this.
  8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    12 oz curls at the house.

Klleetrucking Thanks this.
  9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Food monkey....

10. brtecson

brtecson Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2006
    I'm with cowboy on this one.. foodservice is tough but the heaviest boxes are under 60 lbs and there's heavier stiff out there.. I worked for a moving company, and trust me, moving Hardwood executive desks and "credenzas" and **** up and down stairs is way tougher.. at 21 years I was too old for that and got into food/beverage at that point.

double_r and QuietStorm Thank this.
  11. Cardfan89

Cardfan89 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
    When I did beer we hired a guy that ran a truck for a shingle distributor and he said wheeling kegs and cases where easy compared to running shingles my brother-in-law runs a dry wall truck and he is built like a brick outhouse and says it's no bueno so I would say construction suppliers would be up there

Mike2633 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.