What is the name for this part (DD15)?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by PE_T, Aug 16, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

So I’ve had this very minor fuel leak before, but this time around I want to fix it myself. What is it called, and can I do it myself? 2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD15.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    #4 high pressure injector line, if I remember I’ll get you a picture/ part number in about 1hr 1/2. I gotta go back by the shop anyway!

PE_T and spsauerland Thank this.
  4. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    53EE082F-0EE0-4F9F-8220-8DCCCABBF825.jpeg #4,5,6 injector line, suppose to be 1 time use, but I’ve removed them and replaced the cover seal multiple times and got away with it. I believe they toque to 45 ft/lbs. when you remove the old one.

When removing let the truck sit a bit to let the residual fuel pressure bleed off. This can be up to 25000psi (that’s not a typo) (that’s also full load so....) Hold steady pressure on the line to keep it from unseating with one hand, break it loose and rinse it with brake clean with the other hand. Don’t let it un-seat until the nut is rinsed out. I usually back it off 1/2 turn with the wrench and start rinsing it out. The main I sea is to keep the corrosion the forms inside the nut from Falling into the fuel rail/system. Remove the injector end nut, the the cover seal and reassemble. I believe it’s 45ft/lbs but “normal tight” has sealed them up also!!

BoxCarKidd, MACK E-6, tinytim and 4 others Thank this.
  5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Good info. Thank you.

Working2party Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Definitely one time use. The sealing surfaces of the flared ends are designed to deform to match the fitting. Everything listed above is great advice. Never check for leaks with your hands/body either. 25,000 PSI through a pinhole leak will cause injection into the body. Then they have to slice and dice you open to suck out the fuel. Leaves you with all kinds of brutal scars.

7. me myself and I

me myself and I Heavy Load Member

Oct 5, 2009
    vernon hills,Il
    I think you need a special tool to remove it. And how do you know its a fuel leak, and not oil

Intothesunset and PE_T Thank this.
  8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Last time the dealer replaced it, I remember they said something about fuel going through those lines.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'm not familiar with the DD engines but in most cases there is an oil seal there to prevent oil in the head from seeping past the fuel line exterior and down the side of the engine.

PE_T Thanks this.
  10. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    Those are fuel lines. If it's leaking around the black seal it's just oil from the camshaft housing. Either way just replace the line and seal. The only "special tool" you might need is a 19mm crows foot or line socket. I always lubed the outside of the fuel line tube and the inside of the passthrough seal with assembly lube, made it install a lot easier.

PE_T Thanks this.
  11. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Down here we call that a henway.

PE_T Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.