What is the normal max boost on a 550 HP, C-15, 6NZ engine?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Mr. Cob, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Light Load Member

Howdy All,

I have what according to the ECM readout is a 550 HP, single turbo, 6NZ, C-15 engine in my truck, a 2001 Pete 379. I have driven this truck 16,000 since I finished building it as my RV trailer tow vehicle, last May. In that time I have never seen the boost gauge go over 30 pounds, it usually tops out at around 27 pounds even when pedal to the metal pulls up steep grades in the mountains.

My truck with the Smart Car deck and the Smart Car loaded onto it weights close to 24,000 pounds, the loaded trailer is between 23,000 and 24,000 pounds depending on what toys I have loaded in it. I have read where others are getting anywhere from 40-50 pounds of boost out of similar engines, I have had an over head done, my engine is in great shape, burns no oil, dosen't smoke runs GREAT.

Are my maximum boost reading normal or do I have a turbo on the way out, like I said, no boost loss in the system, all clamps tight, inter-cooler has no leaks, no oil leaking around or from the turbo, no smoke from the stacks. Any advice or comment will be greatly appreciated, thanks. This is my truck.

[​IMG]

Dave

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    id guess that setup doesn’t weigh enough to build much over 27 lb or whatever it is you saw

the little 11L engines in our macks will pull any hill around with a 40k gross and not make more than about 30 lb. 70k gross and it’ll be seeing 45lb all day.

4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I think that's about normal for a single turbo, the guys getting 50 or 60 either have a couple turbos or a bigger one. If you were 20 pounds short on boost I'd think the pyro should be winding itself up pretty good.

MartinFromBC and Mr. Cob Thank this.
  5. Mr. Cob

Howdy freebeertomorrow,

Thanks for your reply, your reply makes sense to me I didn't take into consideration that overall weight could make a difference in boost pressure. What I can say for certain is sure goes up the mountain in a hurry.

Dave

6. Mr. Cob

Howdy Rubber duck kw,

I have never seen more then 900 degrees on the pyro and that is rare its usually between 600-800 degrees. Thanks for your reply.

Dave

7. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    I have a 3406E 550 and never seen over 30

8. Mr. Cob

Howdy Luwi67,

Thanks for your reply, I am feeling better about this with each reply.

Dave

9. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Yea you should be fine, that makes a nice toy hauler looks like.

10. Mr. Cob

Howdy Rubberduck kw,

I gave up on pickup trucks 6 years ago when a 14,000 pound trailer pushed my 8,000 pound dually diesel pickup through an intersection when I had to make a panic stop to keep from hitting an idiot who ran a red light. I used a Freightliner Columbia to tow my RV trailer for 4 years, I started looking for the Pete about 2 years ago, found one that suited my needs and that I could afford, built it to haul the Smart Car, and have been a very happy camper ever since.

When you run the numbers its cheaper to buy-build an HDT then it is to buy a new pickup truck, the cost of operation is pretty much the same, I know this for a fact as I have done both for many years, the SAFETY of towing a large RV trailer with an HDT is so much greater then with a pickup truck and when registered, titled and insured as a "Motor Home" as my "converted" Pete is, the overall cost is way cheaper then a pickup truck, not to mention COMFORT, no pickup truck rides as nice as the Pete when its dragging a large trailer behind it. That and the Pete, just looks so darn good, no pickup truck I don't care how much money you spend on it, what brand it is or if it's a 2500-3500-4500-5500 is ever going to be a Peterbilt.

Dave

Feedman Thanks this.
  11. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    For what it's worth, I'm running a 475hp 6NZ, I'm always 79-80k gross. I don't know how accurate the boost gauge is, but I can get 38psi at 1500 rpms. That's when I'm climbing Sideling Hill on 68 in Maryland. Most times though, on a smaller hill, I usually see around 30psi.

Although I detest Peterbilt's, that's a nice setup Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.