What Is The Purpose Of These ....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by STexan, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Same out here in the east.

They've been working on 64 by Hampton, Williamsburg, etc in Va. Always got signs up stating what lane, or exit if it's an exit will be closed for whatever dates. Do the same for bridge work. Maybe it's the different signs bugging you. lol. They use the electronic traffic boards here, an the little trailers that display messages.

The west coast is weird though, so I wouldn't put it past them for doing it for a weird reason. I'm going to bet it's something along the lines of what @scottied67 said.

Sirscrapntruckalot - Turn left on Road. - My gps...my reply was "#### that! I'm going through the field!" It didn't find me amusing.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    You should run for office. When you've cleaned up the construction crews get busy with the DOT!

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    In many cases its not even the ramp that's going to be worked on. It's just about stopping and or greatly reducing the flow of traffic into an area that's being worked.

KB3MMX and gentleroger Thank this.
  5. Since @scottied67 and myself are out here in commie-fornia. I'll add to the sign birthing all over the highways.

Federal highway money is given to states. They get so much and have to use all up before the fiscal year ends.

Here in the Central valley and up by the Bay area. They are stripping the white lines along the off and on ramps. As well as fixing guard rails.

It's a pain when you run nights after 9pm to 6am. Some ramps are closed in one direction while others are not.

It's all about money. How much can they get and how much can they skim. (. Scratch that skim part). I may end up in a shallow grave. Talking about the elites money in Sacramento.

KB3MMX and bottomdumpin Thank this.
  6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Here in California people are lawsuit happy. They give plenty of advanced warning to help stem off lawsuits from people who were inconvenienced by the closures, or from the family of the guy that dies in the ambulance on the way to the hospital and their lawyer claims it was because of the extra time it took because of the road closures. They also have the added benefit of paying their union road crews time and a half for working nights.

I live on Hwy 101 about 25 miles north of San Francisco. We've been waiting for a 1 lane freeway widening on our 5 mile stretch of 101 for 30 years, and they've finally starting on it now. It will probably take 3-4 years and make travel through here more of a nightmare than it already is, but most of the work will be done at night. That's just how things work out here.

KB3MMX and peterbilt_2005 Thank this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I don't think I've ever seen any ramps closed or being worked on when I was out there. At night.

Defenitely didn't see any difference in the ramp during daylight.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Seriously drivers asking this?

It is to make repairs to the road.

It is a lot less traffic after 8pm than it is at rush hour.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. iceman32

iceman32 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Construction company is extorting the state or the state is extorting the fed. Either way, infrastructure funding is big money being given away.

Look at TN lol. There’s a flyover in Nashville I believe or I think it’s Chattanooga that’s been in construction for 10 years.

I was in 78 going from Nj to Pa yesterday and they had live construction going on. I only saw 3 people working. The rest? Riding the clock.

KB3MMX and jon69 Thank this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I don’t think you understand. These such open-ended date signs have been up at pretty much every off ramp between Barstow and Hesperia (as one example) for the past 2+ years or so. But nothing seems to change. Even at on ramps that basically only connect to dirt lots and dirt roads.

Well, I guess this will just be another unsolved mystery or better yet, another example of government idiocy on parade.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    I have seen signs say road closed ahead only to keep going to see it was a side street. But it does take time between putting out the signs and cones and then them getting to work.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.