What is this thing?? Line on it is broken should I be scared?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by waltonaaron708, Jul 24, 2021.

1. waltonaaron708

waltonaaron708 Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2021
    Truck is a 2012 international workstar 7400 is that like a vacuum line or something? The mechanic at my work only does lawnmowers so I’m at a total lose.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Where does it come from and where does it look like it could go to?

5. waltonaaron708

Jul 24, 2021
    It starts on that little box sensor looking thing and there is a smalll black plastic hole near it but the line is breaking apart every time I touch it .

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    My first guess is it’s for an air restriction guage. If you have one in the cab. Tells you when air filters needs changing. Plugs into the big pipe between air filter and turbo. If so, it’s sucking dirty unfiltered air through the tiny nipple. Just hook it back up.

7. ChuckMartel

ChuckMartel Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2021
    That’s looks like line for the wastegate control. Comes a set to replace the supply to wastegate and exhaust to turbo inlet pipe. Might as well replace the supply to the actuator as well cause they’re always broken

waltonaaron708 and spsauerland Thank this.
  8. Inderjit

Inderjit Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    The plastic device is the turbo waste gate controller. The screws that hold it to the
    intake pipe have fallen out and its been bouncing around and it looks like it broke
    the brittle plastic lines. I believe you have to replace the waste gate controller to
    get new lines. There is also a line that goes across a slot in the valve cover that
    connects near the throttle body. It is also prone to breaking.

waltonaaron708, Oxbow and spsauerland Thank this.
  9. waltonaaron708

Jul 24, 2021
    Turns out it was the least of my worries what I think is the exhaust manifold on the passenger side of the block behind the ac condenser has a 4 inch crack running diagonal on its shielding piece so I’m pretty sure sure the manifold is probably ####ed but the repair shop still couldn’t find the coolant leek it looks like it’s blowing out of the cap everywhere and somehow running out of the passenger side air intake vent on the hood. No one at work thinks it’s a big deal so I’m still running it idk maybe I’m retarded

10. Inderjit

Inderjit Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Can you post pics of the crack and the coolant leak?
    The shield on the front manifold would hide a crack but
    you would have a major exhaust leak with a crack that size.

11. ChuckMartel

ChuckMartel Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2021
    If you have coolant coming out of your cap, your system is being pressurized from exhaust. Need that EGR cooler pressure tested, worst case scenario you have a cracked head.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.