What is this truck worth?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by nctraveler69, Jan 31, 2016.

1. nctraveler69

nctraveler69 Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Want to get an idea of what this truck would be worth. I am considering buying it just to have if I decide to get out of the office side of things and go back to owning trucks. I have owned 5 in the past so I have a good idea what I am getting into. The truck is not for sale on the market but the team will sell it if I am interested. They told me to give them a price.

The truck was bought brand new by a NHRA top fuel team and has never hauled freight just the race trailer. The truck build date is 11/99 and it is Kenworth T2000 with a 3406e cat at 550 hp with 13sp and 3.55 rears. Truck has 321000 original miles and has new tires,brakes. Truck has the factory lenghtened wheelbase with full fairings as they needed the length for the frame mounted generator for power. 8 aluminum wheels. Has no oil leaks and drives great. No rust anywhere and Interior is like new with Full carpet,2 beds and diamond tuck KW interior. It has as many gauges and switches as what was offered on a T2000 that year. Now am not a fan of the T2000 but this seems hard to pass up. I know they are not a sought after truck.

Please give me a approximate value of this truck. I don't want to over pay but seems that a truck with this motor and that low of original miles is like finding a diamond and a money maker

Thanks

Lone Ranger 13 and Dominick253 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    T2000 is much like a Columbia. They are not exactly the most desired trucks to buy. But they make great money makers.

Market value,.. $15k?

Reality is, its worth what ever someone is willing to pay for it.

Hurst

ForrestATrucker Thanks this.
  4. mslashbar

mslashbar Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2009
    elizabeth,co
    That motor with only 320k is probably worth 15 or more by itself. It's a very good motor and would be nice in a glider.

ramblingman and Dominick253 Thank this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    They aren't a super desirable truck but I do have to agree that it'd be hard to pass up with the low miles. I imagine its probably pretty clean inside and well maintained. I'd say around $20-25ish if its as well looked after as you describe.

6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI

RERM Thanks this.
  7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Long wheelbase sucks unless you pull open deck then it could be handy for over length. It's a 2000 year model so not exempt from the current EOBR mandate. I wouldn't get all googlely eyed over a shiny, low miles 17 year old truck. It *might* be worth $15,000 but none of us has looked it over so that's really just a wild guess. When were those miles put on the truck? Did it run 18,000 miles annually since new or has it been parked beside the shop for the past 5 years? If it's been sitting it's going to have issues to work out.

8. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    What are they asking for it? It is worth more sold for parts than whole. I know you probably aren't wanting to part it out but it is what it is.

9. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Go to truckpaper.com. You can search for similar trucks, and do comps. You will get a feel for what people are asking.

ForrestATrucker Thanks this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    $10K because I can't see it nor can I do my due diligence on it.

Remember there are a lot more trucks chasing owners than owners chasing trucks. Just because it looks good and has low miles (which is a concern itself), it may be a POS.

fordconvert Thanks this.
  11. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    It's use is why it is low mileage. It was hauling an NHRA dragster. There are 24 races a year, with average haul 1,500 miles one way. But it may have been a regional car, so it may not have gone to all races. I think there may be traditional truck fans here (I am one), but except for it being long wheelbase, look at all the reasons it is worth quite a bit, over a 2008 or 2012 aero truck. 1) pre egr, pre dpf, pre def. 2) Kenworth T2000 is nicer, better truck than Century/Columbia, Cascadia, Volvo and International. So it isn't a w9? You couldn't touch the same spec'ed w9 for under $45,000.

Lone Ranger 13 and mslashbar Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.