What is this?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by double yellow, Feb 23, 2015.

1. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    [​IMG]

What is this clock radio thing? Kind of looks like it might be some sort of timecard puncher like thing?

Attached Files:

KW Cajun and 123456 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Called a tachograph. There is a round card that goes into it and records the speed of the truck. Very common in the 50,s 60's and 70's. Sorta like a prehistoric big brother before computers.

4. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    Yep, I remember seeing those. Old "tachograph".
    That was the "old tech" version of today's electronic 'logging'. lol
    They were made by Sangamo mainly (also known for manufacturing your utility company's electric meters).

Like mnmover said, it had a revolving paper disk inside that a pen needle "scratched against", recording your speed (or rpms) over a 7 day period, IIRC.
    I'm glad mnmover said the name of it, because I knew what it was, but was sitting here scratchin my head trying to recall the NAME of it. ;)

double yellow and Dale thompson Thank this.
  5. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Thanks!

2015-02-22 22.13.17.jpg

[​IMG]

http://www.sangamoclocks.com/history.htm

6. saddlesore

saddlesore Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2011
    The Great NorthWet
    Used those for many years...there are 3 scratch awls inside, they record time,speed and rpm's, they could be a daily or a weekly time clock, and the clock is/was a windup with a key type. Or if it was a union shop the mechanic's or safety dept would load it and lock the door so the driver wasn't able to mess with it.

7. olphart

olphart Medium Load Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Minden,LA
    You could use a cigarrette butt and block the speed off at 55 but usually get caught cause it would draw a straight line.

double yellow and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. uploadfromtaptalk1424673437192.jpg man. I remember these from back in the 80's.

KW Cajun Thanks this.
  9. hebrews11

hebrews11 Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Don Keith out of Bakersfield Ca used to have them years ago. Old kenworths hauling crude oil

10. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    peterbilt_2005,

At first, my eyes popped wide open when I saw the recorded speed read "90", (thinking mph). I said to myself "Whoa".
    Then I noticed the disk was actually recorded in kilometers per hour.

Side note: The recorded 90 kph = 56 mph

11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    We had them up through the 90's. Believe it or not they have companies that read the chart for the company and gives a report on how the driver was driving. They are very accurate if not broken up. They can tell if the truck swerved or came to a fast stop just about all the information that is needed when the truck is in an accident. It can either save the driver or hang'em. Of course nowadays there's better devices to record the history but back in the day these were very rugged and reliable. They also had many ways to cheat the system too.

double yellow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.