What is to stop an overweight tractor-trailer from avoiding all weigh stations?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by expedite_it, Apr 15, 2021.

1. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Let's say that a trucker just got a dry van trailer loaded with 45,000 pounds of freight at a shipper. The trucker goes to a CAT scale, and the steers are overweight. The trucker does not want to take the time to go back to the shipper to get the freight re-worked. Maybe it is Friday night, and the shipper closed until Monday right after the trucker left the shipper. The receiver is a thousand miles away from the shipper. The trucker has EZ pass installed on his windshield.

If the trucker decides to drive to the receiver with overweight steer axle and just avoids all weigh stations, I don't think that there is any chance that any highway patrol officer will pull him over for bypassing the weight station and give him a ticket because for all the highway patrol officer knows, the trucker got a bypass signal on his EZ pass. The only consequence that I can think of to the trucker is that the equipment at the weigh station will be able to detect that the truck bypassed the weigh station without getting a signal on his EZ pass, and the truckers' carrier will get points added to their CSA score for that. But I don't think that the points would go on the individual driver's CSA score, only the carrier's CSA score. Points added to the carrier's CSA score only is not much of a deterrent for avoiding the weigh stations for a driver at a mega-carrier. I don't think that the powers-that-be at the Mega-Carrier would know which drivers are avoiding the weigh stations.

What is to stop the overweight tractor-trailer from just driving with an overweight steer axle all the way to the receiver?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I've done it several times.
    Last time, loaded coffee and sugar in New Orleans.
    They loaded the sugar in the nose and the coffee in the rear. Was something like 2 or 3 thousand over on the drives.
    Made it to Nashville without crossing any scales.

4. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    So you don't know of any potential consequences to the trucker himself (other than his carrier getting points added to their CSA score)?

5. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    A ticket for passing the scale without entering when you're supposed to, which I believe is considered the same as running a red light(failure to obey traffic control device). And they can make you go back over the scale to give you your overweight ticket.

Unless you know you don't have to pass a scale, get it reworked. Relying on EZPass to give you the green light is a bad idea.

6. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    You can look at a map and plan a route that doesn’t cross scales. I’ve had to do that a few times. You can also check to see if scales you have to pass are open on truckerpath or some other app.

7. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    As a rule of thumbs I just route my way around scales now there is a chance dot has set up shop but it's better then walking in there house looking like a fat wallet

8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Are you talking about avoiding the scales or just driving past them instead of pulling in? Some scales have chase cars, some don’t.

If you have an atlas most of the time it’s pretty easy to plan your trip without even getting close to a scale.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Can get a pretty hefty fine.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  10. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    I don't think the highway patrol officers in their highway patrol cars would know whether or not I got a bypass signal on my EZ pass.

bzinger Thanks this.
  11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Idaho will chase you down and give you a fat ticket for blowing by a scale. Your best option is to have it reworked, if thats not possible learn the routes that go around the scales so you dont even have to cross one... Just know that some places will give a pretty hefty ticket if they catch you and can prove you were intentionally avoiding the scale, especially if you are over weight.

12. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Wouldn't know unless it was called in. I've blasted by several scales and never chased down. I don't advocate that though; that's just me. I've seen lots of trucks chased down for doing that.

slow.rider, bzinger and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.