What is with this annoying infatuation with echo?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Gunner75, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I swear all y'all who run big radios and use the echo function on them annoy the #### out of me. Every single interaction I have with a driver that uses echo had it turned up so loud you can't understand what it is they are saying. If it ain't the echo it's the tool that is deep throating the mic so bad that everything he says sounds like he has a serious speech impediment to the point where he needs surgery.

Please guys, if you wanna use echo, fine use it, but turn it down to a decent level where you cam be understood CLEARLY.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    A little echo is nice. Trouble is, only about 1 out of a 100 have it adjusted correctly. Seems like the older I get the worse it sounds..........

4. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    My experience is that if I can hear my echo on the talkback, it's too much on the air. Turn it down till I can't really hear it and it's about right.

5. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I haven't thought about it, but thinking about that statement I'd have to agree. It NEVER sounds as bad on talk back as it does over the air.

Blaskowitz and ShooterK2 Thank this.
  6. Gunner75

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I don't have echo inn my 949, but I do have a Roger beep, and when I did use it, i constantly got complaints about it, so I stopped using it

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    People getting walked on by their own echo make me laugh. Unfortunately, there is more echo than what they can hear though their talkback. I don't think they realize how it really sounds.

Blaskowitz, IndianaF150 and ShooterK2 Thank this.
  8. Gunner75

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Was a driver trying to warn us on the eastbound side of 70 this morning in Kansas of an accident. Couldn't Understand #### because his echo was so harsh. Only when I replied saying his radio sounded like #### did another driver with an echo that was very understandable cone back with a car that had sideswipped a western express flatbed being on the shoulder just over a hill

Blaskowitz and Oxbow Thank this.
  9. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    That's it. If you set it so it sounds good thru the talkback, it's almost always too much.

Another thing is the mic gain. It does NOT need to be wide open all the time. Over modulation is just as bad as too much echo.

10. 715

715 Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2018
    GA
    I know how you feel well not really but I know what you're saying though. Some of the locals here use echo where the other person can not understand what they are saying to who ever they are talking to. I use echo yes but not where its like wait what did I just say.

There is a local here that uses lot of echo to where he think its funny and sounds really awful. I don't see the point on using lot of echo or use it where it repeats what was said. The locals use it on channel 19 to irritate the local/distant drivers that come through the area.

Blaskowitz and IndianaF150 Thank this.
  11. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    When I used a General Lee in the mobile I would set the echo control at 10:00 and the time( reverb) at 7:00 and most the locals were in agreement that it sounded really good, some even said that it enhanced the audio, not that a Lee needs modulation help, if tuned properly the audio is awesome. Echo is one of those things where you either like the sound of it or just totally despise it, to each his own, me personally there is nothing worse then an overmodulated splatterbox with way too much echo, but just a little bit can sound good in some cases.

IndianaF150 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.