What is YOUR income, any/all experience?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by inthewindaz, Sep 8, 2008.

1. inthewindaz

inthewindaz Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    I would be curious to see drivers of various experience levels answer these questions. I think the results could be interesting for everyone, newbies like myself as well as experienced drivers.

1) What is your daily pay (miles x cpm)?
    2) hours per week worked paid ?
    3) hours per week worked total ?
    4) miles driven per week ?
    4) days home per week/or month?

I think answers to these questions will not only weed people out, but will maybe make some think. A point I want to make and show by asking these questions is, drivers have to drive "x" number of hours daily/weekly... but then work hours in addition to that. So what constitutes "work"? I would say if I am forced to sit and wait for a load, wait for a truck to be repaired, tarp a trailer... any time I am NOT home.... I am working and on the clock. Why? Because, I can't relax; I can't have a beer; I am not with family/friends; I have to stay alert and in touch with the company. That said... include all the hours you are on the clock under this definition... not just hours driven.

The end result I want to see is what the actual breakdown is in gross hourly wage. And then back out costs of business per week... tolls, food, tools... everything related and required that is an expense.

And it would be great of the people who run this were able to use the information and put it into a scale or chart that might give a good glimpse into experience and how it affects income... or not. And what actual income are... not the BS fed to newbies by companies such as $43,000 1st year! as you see in some ads in trucking mags and the newspaper.

Thanks because I think this could be very enlightening.

foodmojo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chuckster

Chuckster Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm kinda gettin worried. It's not so much the pay we should be thinking about? It's the available loads for us to deliver. With the economy being what it is, is there any freight to deliver???? I'm a newby and I want miles all I can get. But will we get them?

4. TrooperRat

TrooperRat Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, I think many people might think that their pay is a personal thing. I mean, really. But I'll tell you what I'm at now after a recent raise: 55k per year with my bonuses. I now work 43 hours per week (down from 44) - I am paid for everything I do because I am paid by the hour. I don't care if I sit at a place waiting to get unloaded, it makes no difference about fueling time, I eat lunch at Subway every day at whatever time I get there - so I spend $5 per day in food, I don't encounter toll booths - there are none around these parts though many have tried to get them going. When my truck is being repaired, I'm sitting in their waiting room - getting paid for it - and reading a magazine or snoozing or talking on the phone or whatever. And other things.

I compare that with my prior life of working 70, 80, 90 hours per week - or more - and either making more money (as much as 75k) or less (as low as 35k) - and most certainly not having the life that I want - which includes coming home every night.

I'm pretty happy with my job.

foodmojo Thanks this.
  5. inthewindaz

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Due to poor economy my biz has sucked...income down 80%.. so I am looking at driving again as I still have my Class A CDL with all endorsements... but your concern is mine as well. Saw a couple posts here last week where guys GROSSED under $100/wk. And just read a post where a recruiter told a guy he could be making .66 per mile his first year! LMAO!!!

Just the same, I started this thread so everyone, not just newbies, could get an idea of what ACTUAL INCOME can be expected as compared to the real world...desk jobs, or "normal jobs", etc... THAT is important I think, for people to know what they make... what they REALLY make.

foodmojo Thanks this.
  6. inthewindaz

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    I understand the statement about stating income, but this is all anonymous. I don't care who you are or who you even work for... I would like to see what people really make in the industry because I think drivers are screwed as a whole, and think many drivers don't know or understand how much they are screwed. I am guessing you are a union driver or with a great local company. Send me a private email if you ahve openings.. lol... I'll move. Seriously, I am open to a move anywhere in the country for a job like yours. Stay safe... and thanks for the input.

7. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

You are asking for drivers to break down a lot of info. My husband made 49K his first 12 months out. He stays out between 3-6 weeks each time and gets one day home for each week out. Some days he drives like crazy, other days he has time to spare and explores the little towns that he drives through. But to break it down to a per hour or per day wage? We'd rather focus on the big picture.

8. inthewindaz

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    To see the "big" picture you need to see the small ones. You say he is out an avg. of 4.5 weeks, essentially one month at a shot, which by most standards would give him 4 days off in between which essentially would mean he works, is on the clock, literally 11 months out of the year or approx. 330 days of the year (365 days /12 months = 4.3 weeks per month = 30 days per month).

Here's what you don't want to see or know:

Based upon a $49,000 annual income divided by 330 days, his GROSS DAILY INCOME would be $148. Now since he sleeps, eats and lives in the truck, he works 24 hours per day. His hourly wage would be $6.19 per hour.

In essence, your husband works 330 days a year (slave labor) for $6.19/hr. GROSS Income. After taxes and before costs of business, he makes about $5.00 per hour. Now subtract food, clothes and out of pocket expenses, some of which he gets reimbursed for... which don't count but then, it's the company using YOUR money to PAY THEIR expenses and make them money!

Now everyone reading this can see what I am talking about when you try and figure out what you ACTUALLY make. Yes, your husband made $49,000, but he could stay out all week and live in a van and deliver papers to everyone in your city and make $49,000 also... at $6.19 an hour.
    Now, if you want to be lenient (but incorrect) and say he isn't working when he's sleeping (even though he is sleeping in a bunk in a truck somewhere at some truckstop or parking lot for 10 hours a day, then he would be shown as making a whopping $10.57 an hour!

I hope you see my point. Working for $6 or even $10 an hour IS THE BIG PICTURE that I want you to see!

Dav and Paddington Thank this.
  9. kilroy2963

kilroy2963 Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2008
    I just started at Sygma as a drivers helper a little over a month ago, I work 3 days a week, 12-13 hr a run. I gross about $800 a week, I get paid 70% of what the driver makes. Now that I just started driving, I will be on my way to a relief driver ($1200 guaranteed a week), and then my own route which can pay anywhere between $1200 to $2000 a week. All depends upon cube and weight of your load, and miles driven.

Permit09 Thanks this.
  10. inthewindaz

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    HOLY COW! Are they hiring and out of where? I'd move in a heartbeat for that. You've got a great job! Is it union or not? Just curious. Am serious about moving if they are indeed hiring. I am desperate and will move anywhere. Thanks for the info... Good luck and stay safe.

11. kilroy2963

kilroy2963 Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2008
    No, its not Union............I work out of the Boston location, although we have other locations across the country. Sygma is still hiring drivers as far as I know where I am, I dont know about elsewhere. They may be getting another concept, so that means more routes. I wont lie, it is hard work!! You have to be willing to move a lot of freight with a 2-wheeler down a ramp, and sometimes walk a good distance, and move fast, plus be willing to work nights. I feel the money is well worth it though!! Like I said, a lot of the drivers make $85-$95K a year. So becoming a driver with my own route is my goal.
    Eventually as a drivers helper I will move from 3 days to 4............which will bring me to about $1000 a week. In the meantime, I still get to drive and become prepared to get my own route.

foodmojo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.