What it's like to drive teams, R+L Carriers as a husband & wife

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by IndianaMike, Dec 13, 2018.

1. IndianaMike

IndianaMike Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Indiana
    I get lots of questions about driving team at R+L carriers . First off we are LTL and pull 2 28 ft trailers. We drop and hook and connect sets up with dollies.YOU MUST HAVE HAZMAT TANKER AND DOUBLES ENDORSEMENTS.
    My wife and I are on a dedicated run. We drive from our home terminal and meet a solo driver at a meet point. We drop our set and we hook up to his set then return to our home terminal. We leave at 4am and get back between midnight and 2am depending on traffic and any delays. We live 5 minutes from our terminal so we go home to eat and shower every day.
    NOT ALL TEAMS ARE DEDICATED.Some run wild. All teams run 5 days and off 2 full days every week. My wife and I are off Sundays and Mondays. We run 545 miles each way. Our pay is by the run not by mile. I get 384$ for my 545 miles and wife gets 384$ for her 545 miles. Thats 1920$ a week foreach of us before taxes. If we breakdown on road we get 26 an hr after 2. Our family insurance is 72 week. We also have dental life vision available. We have roth 401k. We also get to use hotels owned by RL for free. Theyre in Daytona beach, Pigeon forge TN, Big Bear Lake CA. We always get 2 rooms free since we're both employed. We get a new truck after 750k or about 3years. We get 7 holidays, 3 personal and 3 sick days. All team trucks run 72mph.
    Hope this helps.I also have a thread called husband and wife team starting at R+l carriers

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    heyns57, CorsairFanboy, CJ701 and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @Samarquis - this thread is about a company I mentioned in your thread.

IndianaMike Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That is a good thread.

It would be showing by example particular companies and how they pay specifically as well as run.

IndianaMike Thanks this.
  5. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    How long have you & your wife been at R&L?

IndianaMike Thanks this.
  6. IndianaMike

Jul 15, 2011
    Indiana
    4 years now.

CJ701 Thanks this.
  7. IndianaMike

Jul 15, 2011
    Indiana
    CorsairFanboy and CJ701 Thank this.
  8. ROLL#AATC

ROLL#AATC Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Aww that sounds great. It must be nice to work together and make things happen. Keep up the good work.

9. DrummingTrucker

DrummingTrucker Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Just applied to R&L Friday for a combo line/p&d run. How does that combo work IndianaMike? I know be doing either on any given day but is it steady work??

LoveHateTrucking Thanks this.
  10. IndianaMike

Jul 15, 2011
    Indiana
    You have to start at bottom. Run extra board until a bid run comes open. Extra board means you run anything extra. If there is nothing extra you may sit home. We came in as team so we get seniority on any new team bids.combo means you can run days or nights depending where you're needed. Winter is slow so I'm not sure how busy you'll be. Ive never done solo orcombo so I may not be the guyto talk to.

11. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    @IndianaMike I hope all is well I've been thinking about R & L for a future move with my wife. If you have any information on those who run "wild" I know you are dedicated. I wanted to know if the is down time between drops or is it straight run the "horse"? I appreciate your thread all the best.

Dreazz75 and IndianaMike Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.