What killed the CB radio?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by LimpyLegs, Dec 16, 2020.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I find myself turning it down more often than anything. Always some dude ramblin on about somethin. Someone playin music.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. idriveaholden

idriveaholden Super Heavy Hauler

Mar 14, 2018
    short answer
    africans/mexicans/russians
    auto trucks made for any schmuck to drive

4. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I still have my Ranger on and use it daily

5. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    In college, my wife had a CB radio in her car (early ‘80s). Her handle was “Dixie Daisy.” Not saying truckers were saints back then, but she wouldn’t have hung in there for four years of commuting between DeLand and Pensacola if they were the vulgar cretins that are today.

Rideandrepair and 650cat425 Thank this.
  6. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    I'm so old we had 23 channel CBs and thought we were in high cotton. Lol

7. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    CB is not dead. It is quieter these days vs the 70's, I'll give you that.

8. Corn-Fed

Corn-Fed Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Big Clifty, Ky
    It anit dead. Its just quite until its needed. At least thats how it seems to me. For example today it was raining on I40 westbound. Im loaded at just under 40 ton today hauling paper rolls. Cb comes alive westbound coming to a stop at the 293 over 2 heading down the hill. At that point I'm 3 miles out heading down hill. Truck speed limit through there is 55. I thought the Jake's on high and drop a gear bring her down from 60 to 50. Let her slow down with my four ways on and bring it to a nice controlled stop at the back up. However super trucker from Schneider today ignored my slowing down with my 4 ways on going g down hill comes flying past me at awhole 65 or whatever they run. Gets to where he can see why I was slowing down and locks her down. Shew whole holler smelt like burnt brakes then. He stopped about 4 feet off the back of a 4 wheeler. Had I come not had a radio they is a good chance I'd have had me a boo boo today like Schneider about did or I'd have possibly burnt my brakes up trying to stop. Right then and there the 100 dollar investment would've paid for itself. So if anyone reads this and said oh I don't need one. It dont hurt nothing to have one. I knew which lane was open where the wreck was what happened and got to enjoy listening in on a handful of arguments be politics or race religion you name it.

9. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I have one, but I keep the squelch up a bit. It has come in useful when there are accidents or other traffic issues, but I rarely talk on it otherwise.

Just passing by and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    It is rare to have a decent conversation on the cb nowadays. I've had it happen a couple of times, but usually it's the stupid cb dj's that spoil it. Or the out-of-their-mind, half-wits who just rant and rant and never pause long enough for anyone else to say anything. The younger guys seem to think it's a fun game to get on and spew trash to stir the pot. And why is there the need to get on the radio just to make weird noises?

Though the worst one I ever encountered was driving through the bible belt and someone had their sermon on a recording and was broadcasting the recording. Tied up the airwaves.

11. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    What killed the CB radio ?

the new breed...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.