What kind of equipment does Melton provide for securing? - And other questions!

Discussion in 'Melton' started by Triad, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Triad

Triad Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Howdy, folks. After giving food service a shot for a year and a half (Want to try it? Don't.), I'm heading back to flatbedding in style with Melton on Dec. 2nd in Masury. Had a lovely recruiter named Monica (and Lacy, filling in for her yesterday) who was a rather refreshingly straightforward person when it came to the smoke blowing portion of the recruiting process and found it pretty easy to make my ultimate decision to roll out with Melton over the other carriers I'd been courting. I'm pretty psyched about getting back on that skateboard. I didn't think I'd miss wind, rain, snow and coils as much as I do, but after wheeling boxes of fries down a ramp for Sygma for a year and a half, the thought of waiting in line for an hour and dealing with steelworkers seems almost refreshing. Yeah, buddy!

So, my primary question is this: What kind of equipment do they keep on the truck and what am I going to need to bring with me? I have the list of stuff they send in the e-mail and I have everything they list, but am I going to have to pull the ol' 6' stepladder off the garage wall and toss it in the trunk for the drive up to Masury? What about blocks for securing the front of a load, or do they just use bulkheads? Did any of you guys find that you needed some extra bungees when starting? I'm assuming basic tools like hammer, knife, screwdrivers (mainly for prying), etc. are on me. Most importantly, though: How many chains? How many straps? How many tarps? Rachet or snap binders, and how many? Breaker bar? Strap winder? Oil can?

Also, do they have the center and quarter points on the trailer marked (as I prefer to have them for quick, easy reference) or am I going to have to do it myself? They want you to bring your own CB, or is mine going to just sit in my car if I drag it along? Them pretty blue Kenworths run well? Do they have the optional minifridge in the sleeper? I was told about the APU and inverter being included, but I know some Kennys have the fridge, too. Blah, blah, blah!

Anything else at all that'll make my first few weeks a little easier with Melton would be appreciated. I try to think of everything, but it never hurts to ask because I'd hate to be sitting at the wheel and realize I don't have something I really wanted.

Thanks guys!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skootertrashr6

skootertrashr6 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Pueblo, Co
    Been almost a year since I left so not sure if much changed on what they provide. 20 4" straps, 2-4 4" ratchets, 2-4 2" straps and ratchets, 8-10 chains and snap binders (can't remember exact amount), breaker bar, can buy strap winder at the Melton store or truck stops. If they are going to send you solo right away then I would take your ladder. 3 piece tarps, 50-100 bungees, always got extras out of barrel in Sunnyvale terminal, always picked up extra center tarp also. Bring your own cb. 48' trailers center point is the center light, most of the 53' have a sticker on sideGrave digger where center point is. That's all I could somewhat remember, best of luck!

Triad Thanks this.
  4. Triad

Triad Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks! I'll probably be going out solo after the orientation so I'll make sure I bring my ladder. 10 chains seems a bit low, do they let you buy/ask for more? I would like to have at least 12. And do they offer rachet binders? I find those much more useful for getting inside shorter coils than snaps.

Another thing I was wondering: Are the trucks 11'6" or taller? Looks taller to me, so I'll be going 'round the back in Gary, it would seem.

Thanks again!

5. skootertrashr6

Jan 4, 2012
    Pueblo, Co
    It might be 12 chains, I can't remember. A lot of the trucks had 1 ratchet binder that safety said you could use for bulkhead only, the snap binders are the "safety" kind. I can't remember the height, slightly taller than 11' 6" I believe

Triad Thanks this.
  6. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX

Close. 18 4" straps, 2 4" ratchets, 4 2" straps w/ratchets, and 12 chains/binders. :)

All the materials you need for load securement will be provided for you. You will get 100 bungees new, and you can grab spares along the way. You can get lumber from the yards, or just buy some at a Lowes or Home Depot and they'll reimburse you. Basically you just need to bring your general tools--hammer, nails, prybar, etc. The rest you can pick up as you need it or think of it on the road.

The center point on ALL trailers (48' and 53') is 22'6" from the front. Some of the trailers the light is too far back, and you can never trust the location of the "Center Load Point" stickers.

skootertrashr6 and Triad Thank this.
  7. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Trucks are under 12', so you're good to go through the front. ;)

Triad and skootertrashr6 Thank this.
  8. Triad

Triad Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    12 chains - perfect. I'd hate to roll out, get three little coils and find out I only have 10 chains!

Looks like I'll be marking my own points on the trailer, then. Last place I hauled steel with had welds where the center point was (and a sidekit, so if you were really lost, you could just count), but without the sidekit, I'll want to measure and mark my own points of convenience. I was a little worried about getting a 53' and not knowing what to do with it until I realized that a bit of extra butt on the trailer doesn't really change where the load balances between the spreads and the drives. Heh heh. Either way, I think I'll have everything just the way I want it within a week. Thanks for the info.

That's a relief. The direct route is so much easier to get in and out of. Now if finding Building BFE-39 to pick up those seventeen double-plated, triple-bound, acid-washed, rolled-up dishwashers were only so easy...

9. skootertrashr6

Jan 4, 2012
    Pueblo, Co
    I almost could of swore it was 20 4" straps when first get the truck. I picked up extra of everything as I went also though. Can never have enough straps. I knew you would come on and help me with correct quantities!

10. Ryck13

Ryck13 Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    They typically set you up pretty nice equipment wise. If you are coming out of the Masury terminal..., check out your truck very carefully. I was handed a set keys to a pain in the #####. My first run with Melton was from Lorraine, OH (I apologize for the incorrect spelling, just in case.) to Houston, TX and I literally couldnt pump more than 60 gal of fuel in the tanks. So you can imagine how many times I stopped for fuel...lol. But overall great trucks, good training, decent pay and ok staff.

11. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    By the time I quit, I had 30 straps (10 brand new).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.