What kind of jobs you had before trucking?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Oldironfan, Feb 23, 2018.

1. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Burger flipper, plumber apprentice, tow truck driver, dump truck driver, tech at a GM dealer, back to truck driver then car hauler. Then a crane operator then back to car hauler. Man I guess I got around in 48 years!!!

Feedman and Oldironfan Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    Cook at Texas burger at 15 (1 day, didn't have time for that, had to chase tail)
    Race Director for my fathers race promotions business after high school for several years
    Part time grain hauling at the same time I was the race director for my father
    Owned/Operated Personal training business for a couple of years
    Went to CDL school
    Driving ever since.

Real exciting stuff.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. No5id3Fried

No5id3Fried Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Sacramento Ca
  5. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    grew up on the farm so had all sorts of jobs machine operator, dozer operator, loader operator, grader operator, haulout operator, bush mechanic , tyre changer , shopping trolley collector, office cleaner, carpet cleaner , book sales man, vacuum salesman,.security systems salesman. share day trader, futures trader.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. drdesl

drdesl Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Billings, Montana
    Born a truckers son.
    Mowed lawns 8-13.
    Farmed summers for a friend to earn a hog for my family to eat 12-17.
    Washed and tortured rental cars for Avis in High School until fired for said torture 16-18.

Wanted to go truckin at 18 with dad and he said " If you love them suns a beaches so much, go fix 'em instead. Truckin' ain't what it used to be."

Went to Diesel college 18-20.

Worked in a truck shop 4 days a week, pulled double belly dumps and pneumatics the other 3, and hauled all of our hoes, loaders and broke down trucks with an RGN when needed 20-34.

Work as a diesel mechanic and hydraulic mechanic for a utility 34-40 (present).

Still a truckers son, and would much rather be in one than bending wrenches and busting knuckles.

7. Samuelh

Samuelh Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Detroit diesel mechanic, worked for a distributor. Nothing but engine work. Blew my knee out so I drive now.

Oldironfan and drdesl Thank this.
  8. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Worked as a mechanic helper for 6 months at age 18. Worked for lowes for 1 year as a loader and helper. Then got my CdL permit and worked in delivery at lowes from age 19 to 21 and I've been a trucker ever since. I'm 30 now and have my own authority.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  9. GoldDot40

GoldDot40 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Athens, GA
    Worked and managed in quicklubes, auto service shops and detailing from 16-29 years old. Also drove a tow truck part time in that same time frame. Got a job at the local Anheuser Busch distributor and acquired my CDL at 29 and been driving ever since. I'm 41 now.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  10. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Lets see, pumping gas back in the 60,s when full service was, wrenching from cars to heavy equipment in the 70,s, Said screw it so ski bummed a few years and started teaching and then trucking a few years, lineman for telecommunication companies for a few, back to trucking because body complains hauling a few hundred pounds up poles on hooks, caretaker now for very aged parent but bored to death and wanting to buy some metal again, not wanting a computer controlled piece of plastic so in no hurry, heck being retired is kind of boring and missing the road, even knowing it is not like the days of old.

Feedman and Oldironfan Thank this.
  11. Maj. Jackhole

Maj. Jackhole Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Free laborer as a farm hand in my youth, went to college Rotc spent 23 years wearing an Army uniform. Took a short break from service bought truck so I could learn I was a fool, after 2001 I re-entered the army until 2012. Went into business management didn't like so took up woodworking for a bit until I started driving, at the moment I am on a temp sabbatical.

bentstrider83, Feedman and Oldironfan Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.