What kind of paycheck is realistic for new drivers?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by redfurmom, Jul 19, 2018.

1. redfurmom

redfurmom Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Through my research, I've narrowed it down to paid CDL training with Roehl, Prime or Pam. I'm leaning towards Roehl. Thoughts?

But my main question is what could I realistically expect to earn in my first year as a driver? I'm assuming I'll probably start out with dry van and everything I've read said first years typically earn about $40K. Roehl says on their site that first years can earn up to $60K (although it doesn't specify for what type of truck you choose)

I appreciate any and all advice to help me make the right choice. I know I will have to pay my dues the first year no matter what but I would like to be able to at least make enough to support my family until I earn the right to have my pick of jobs. I'd like to get as close as I can to making $3K a month in my first year. Possible?

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Shouldn't be too hard. I'm in my first year and average 1500 a week. I load my own trailer when I arrive places to do pick ups. Its hard work but the pay is there if you are willing to do the work.

The linehaul guys don't do any manual labor and they make about 800-1000 a week last I heard. The team drivers a bit more because they will be given the better routes. That means dealing with another guy in your truck and sleeping while the truck is moving, driving at night, etc.

I haven't worked for those companies you listed, but heard good things about Roehl if you are able to be accepted by them.

redfurmom Thanks this.
  4. redfurmom

redfurmom Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Thanks for your input! I definitely don't mind the work especially if it means bringing home decent pay. I hope I can be accepted by Roehl. Which company do you work for if you don't mind me asking. Did you go the paid training route?

5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I work for FFE - Frozen Food Express. I went to their driving academy free in exchange for driving for them at least a year. Chinatown recommended the company to me and I have not regretted the decision.

KLLM a straight OTR company is there two. You pick the company in orientation. The driving instructors that work for them said you can make good money there too if you take initiative and talk with your dispatchers. Ask if there is a drop yard and another load nearby. Don't always just sit and wait for a call. I havent worked for KLLM so can't say for sure, but that's what I was told.

Just decide what you want before orientation and stick with it. They will try to talk up whatever company, division needs drivers the most. Just make your decision and stick with it. That's what I did.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
  7. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    3k a month is more than doable. I wouldn't worry. As long as you actually work and run decently hard.

TravR1 Thanks this.
  8. Coolbreezin

Coolbreezin Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2016
    Florida
    I paid for my school and went to CRST. Dont go to a team company, EVER! The truck makes a buttload of money because it never stops moving, but each driver is only paid about 25cpm. So, two drivers make $50,000, but its then split in half. I then went to USA Truck. They had me at 34cpm within the first 6 months. That was about 4 years ago. I stayed there for 14 months, until they started screwing me. I push back when leaned upon. So I went to Marten. Both are great companies and I would go back to either if I ran OTR again. Marten does primarily food service, so expect to deliver at 0-dark-30 hours. Any company you work for in any industry will screw their employees one way or another.
    Now, the simple rule is this...whatever yr paid per mile will roughy equate to your yearly income (ex. 34cpm = $34,000 year).
    Good luck.

redfurmom Thanks this.
  9. redfurmom

redfurmom Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2018
    I thought about FFE actually but there are no locations in Alabama and the closest to me is Atlanta which is 2 hours & 44 minutes away. Not doable unfortunately considering they don't offer paid training until after graduation from the 3 week academy.

10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I heard CRST sucks. Where I am at we are paid .35 cpm empty and .40 cpm loaded for all miles driven.

lilnae and redfurmom Thank this.
  11. redfurmom

redfurmom Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2018
    I had read something like that about CRST. I'm praying I get to be a solo driver. I do better on my own, more relaxed, and I don't really trust another person to drive with me basically unconscious on a bunk.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.