What kind of shape is TMC's equiptment in?

Discussion in 'TMC' started by stingdar, Jul 26, 2008.

1. stingdar

stingdar Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    I was thinking on TMC and was wondering, what kind of shape is their equiptment in.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Are you for real?

Big Duker Thanks this.
  4. corysti

corysti Medium Load Member

May 13, 2008
    Arkansas
    CRAP! We get tmc drivers come in the docks where I work always talking about how crappy their equipment is. One of the drivers had a problem with his kenworth so they took it and made him go 200 miles to pick up an abandoned truck which he had to pay for the gas and the time and once he got the abandoned truck "Peterbilt" The transmission is going bad.

5. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Without knowing anything about this story, I can tell you the driver did not have to pay for the gas or time. Depending on how he went to get the other truck, he may have paid for the gas in the rental car for which he will be reimbursed once he submits the receipt. Trucks break all the time, brand new trucks break. TMC has a very good maintainence program. A truck with 300K on it is an old truck with TMC. It will be phased out soon and replaced with a new one.

NukedNative Thanks this.
  6. bre1979

bre1979 Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2008
    pasco wa
    Yeah i dont drive for them but i do see their trucks top notch for company trucks.

7. pathfinder

pathfinder Medium Load Member

Aug 25, 2007
    central,MN
    Lets not forget that no matter how nice the truck, NO company can keep a driver from abusing it! Ya they can fire the driver, but not til AFTER they find out he/she abused it! And no, I dont drive for them. One of their competitors actually. And they do have great looking trucks, specd for an O/O, that says something about the value of drivers. Not everything, but something.

Big Duker Thanks this.
  8. corysti

May 13, 2008
    Arkansas
    Well he had to use his own car to get it not a rental. And I'm going by what I see at the docks so far I havent see one decent TMC truck at our dock.

9. Rawlco

Rawlco Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    So then how did he get his car back? Are you saying that TMC made him leave his personal car at a Peterbilt 200 miles from home?

If you are going to continue to make up stories I will need to return with my hip waders.

During May of 2007 I took a 30 day leave of absence from TMC to assist my family on the farm. When I was ready to return I planned on renting a car to get to a terminal for a truck. I also planned on paying for my own gas. Instead I was instructed to recover a truck at a Peterbilt dealer in PA, and since I was doing that TMC was going to pay for my rental car, all gasoline and tolls, and pay me mileage pay for the trip in the rental car. They also covered the $70 taxi fare from the airport where I dropped the car to the Pete dealer. You cannot tell me that TMC doesn't take care of it's employees. This unexpected coverage of expenses is the reason that I fight for TMC's reputation on here against people who don't know what they are talking about.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
    Big Duker and NukedNative Thank this.
  10. Rawlco

Rawlco Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Central Maine
    TMC has a fleet of trucks comprised almost entirely of Peterbilt 379 tractors. They are maintained very highly and they are very fussy about repairing damage to the trucks unlike some companies. As Terry stated the trucks are retired after 300,000 miles to keep the fleet fresh. TMC also gets a good price out of the used trucks and at times has a waiting list of people wanting to buy used trucks.

Now all equipment will break down no matter how new it is. There are lemons of course. Part of the problem is that most of us drivers don't know the right language to communicate with the mechanics. If we can't describe a problem properly it is hard to get it fixed.

TMC also uses a fleet of Benson all aluminum 48 foot trailers with a spread axle. There are brand new trailers in the fleet as well as some that are ten to twelve years old. There is nothing unsafe about the old ones, just some dents and dings here and there. Most people complain about the older trailers but I would prefer one of the ones about 7 years old. The winches slide on those old style rails a lot better than the newest ones.

One of the things that attracted me to TMC was the quality of the equipment. I heard few stories of drivers complaining about poor quality unsafe equipment when I was researching the company.

11. corysti

May 13, 2008
    Arkansas
    How am I making up stories? If you want I will give you ever single detail and no he took his son with him and drove his pickup home. You can say whatever you want to say about tmc, I'm telling you from what I seen.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.