What kind of truck is the test done in--Gears???

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by getitgirl, Aug 4, 2009.

1. getitgirl

getitgirl Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    Hope somebody can help with this
    What kind of truck- specifically--- how many gears? This may sound lame but I've been driving 8 for 10 months and a 10 speed will kick my #####.
    I know- drove or should I say tried to drive a 10 speed day cab. IT WAS UGLY!
    Also - any info on the orientation would be great- Actually any info on anything would be great- pre-pass, terminals, where do they pick-up and drop (usually)
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IUFAN87

IUFAN87 Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Don't know if USA has autoshift or manual at orientation but I'm gonna find out soon. Since from what I've been told 90% or more of their fleet are automatics it would make sense for the obstacle course truck to be the same. Probably shouldnt have to shift on the course anyway. I know what you mean by UGLY. I had driven manual shift cars and light trucks before but the big rigs are a whole different animal haha.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
    getitgirl Thanks this.
  4. getitgirl

getitgirl Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    IUFAN- thanx for the reply-- and your right, shifting a car is NOTHING like shifting a rig. Good luck in school, be safe and have fun on the road.:biggrin_25526:

5. motofish

motofish Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Monroe, NC
    For orientation at USA, you will drive a 10 speed. But you wont do any shifting other than 2nd gear or reverse. They will show you there way to back, then you do the course. Thats all the driving you do till you get on the trainers truck. Some people may tell you different, but all trainer trucks are 10 speeds, even the new Prostars. After training, and you do a written test and a road test in a wore out International 10 speed. You will be asigned a truck then. I got a 2007 with a ten speed. One of my friends got a 2007 auto. Luck of the draw I guess.

IUFAN87 Thanks this.
  6. IUFAN87

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Yeah, I kinda figured they would probably train newbies on the 10 speeds. I got to where I was shifting up and down ok at C1 so I should be ok. Kinda hope I end up with an autoshift when I go solo though.......One less thing to worry about:biggrin_25525:.

7. motofish

Jul 15, 2009
    Monroe, NC
    You will do fine with the trainers. The good thing is there trucks will have a good clutch! LOL! These trainers know you only have about 15 hrs driving, so they will work with you. After you do your 175 hrs with the trainer, shifting will be no problem.

IUFAN87 Thanks this.
  8. getitgirl

getitgirl Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    hey moto- sounds like you've been thru the training already so tell me this if ya know???? My husband and I have been driving 10 months.... 8 months at what is considered "solo status". Would we have to go out with a trainer...at least for any real length of time.... I could understand a day or two to learn their qualcom system.... but more than that????? What have you heard about the training when they hire drivers with Medium experience-lol??
    What was their orientation like.... we go Monday?

9. motofish

Jul 15, 2009
    Monroe, NC
    We had about 8 people in our class of 50 that had experiece. Don't know how much, but they got there trucks and was on the road by friday. I got my truck after 4 weeks out ( 175 hs. ) passed my upgrade, and got a truck. I would think they would put ya'll right on a truck after orientation with that much experience.

10. dgarrett0008

dgarrett0008 Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Riverdale, Georgia
    Yes you will get your own truck, with 6 months experience:yes2557:

11. IUFAN87

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Did my 4 weeks and 175 hours with two different trainers. Went for upgrade testing, which I passed (you'd have to screw up BAD not to pass). Got assigned a truck. No matter what anyone tells you it is very random what truck you get. I got the impression that they generally assign you a truck that another driver has abandoned somewhere. That was the case for me. I had to ride a Greyhound from the Van Buren terminal all the way to Detroit to pick up my truck. The computer at Van Buren had it listed as an automatic but its a 10 speed 9400i with 375k on it. Luckily the last driver kept it pretty clean and even left me a note of things wrong with it. They got me in for service the next week and attempted to fix some of the issues and did fix others. Not a bad truck overall just sucks that it has no inverter like the prostars. So far I'm doing ok on my own. My second day driving they sent me to Chicago and that was a challenge to say the least.....

truckerdan007 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.