what lanes are you currently runing?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 100%Gofio, Aug 23, 2017.

1. 100%Gofio

100%Gofio Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2017
    with summer ending, and winter coming ahead the swift of goods transport begins, what lanes are you running for what rates (dont have to be exact if you dont want to) .. i am basically trying to get a better idea of what lanes to look for now.. i was thinking running from east to west (fl, ga, sc to ca) long hauls are ok by me but is it really a good choice or shorter hauls are paying better?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    The usual open deck lanes.

As for rates,.. certain areas are paying better than others. Usually do a lower rate to get into the better rate. Then hard ball once in the good rate area.

The other tactic is to develop a list of preferred brokers that cover the lanes you know that work. Then call to see who has what and going where. I'll often pre-book 2 - 3 loads ahead of schedule.

Hurst

4. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    If you've been running coast to coast on dry van freight, then I'd have to say that anything would be better...ive never seen a load from the east paying enough to go out west. One time I got lucky and got a light load from gulf coast to Seattle for $2.70/mile and was able to avg $1.45 back southeast. It was barely worth it.
    Won't go to CA period, and they won't pay me $3/mile to AZ.

Summer I been running southeast but now that's drying up so I'm staying Midwest. Currently in WI and I hate it here, but oh well.

5. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Very Broad question.......
    What lanes do we run huh?

Welp. I've stayed in the same lanes for a very Long Time Now- 12 months a year.
    If I Pulled a Dry Van- I Would only work Local with it(Cartage Work-LTL or maybe 100-150 mile truckload radius)- Not enough money for the 400-1200 mile trips-Too much competition these days.

But I Do Flat work- My Outbound is Chicago and I service the Midwest and East Coast- And Back

Logan76 Thanks this.
  6. JL of Indiana

JL of Indiana Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2017
    650 mile radius of Indianapolis. Also run 200 mile radius program as well. It seems you get any further out and it's trouble getting back. Where your located in the US makes a big difference.

Btw I don't know how the west coast and back guys do it. Texas and back for that matter. Unless your under something extra special.

BoyWander Thanks this.
  7. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I just got back in the reefer biz and have started running the southwest from Nebraska .
    After years of running the northeast the sky high cost of tolls and cheap outbound loads has made me say to heck with the northeast ...not worth the hassle any more .

whoopNride, stayinback and fargonaz Thank this.
  8. 100%Gofio

Aug 3, 2017
    we running south east-west.. nothing in the north, too much hassle and tools, specially now winter time sone, ice slick dumber drivers etc

9. flatbeb mac

flatbeb mac Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2015
    I do the same exept I dabble in the 800-1000 mile range, as noted you better have something lined up before heading out. I do a tri-route about 50% of the time, most of the time for sure if I go past the 700 mile mark. In general I get home every week to at least do a 34, 72 or ....

Side note, this looks like a good lane!

Dream load.png

JL of Indiana Thanks this.
  10. 100%Gofio

Aug 3, 2017
    daaamm for $30k?!? lol like wining the lotto hahaha.... what program/software/source is that you are using? a loadboard?

11. 100%Gofio

Aug 3, 2017
    i dont mind the long hauls as long as they pay on average same or more than shorter hauls, i might prefer it as i dont waste as much time loading/unloading compared to doing shorter hauls, if i do 2 2,000 mile hauls in 1 week considering time factor, i think its better than 8 500 mile hauls in 1 week

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.