What oil for Paragon Hydra Chem pump/compressor?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by tscottme, Sep 15, 2017.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I'm new to tanker biz. I have a Paragon Hydra Chem, PTO driven pump/air compressor I use to pump off & air off product.

It has a vertical sight glass on box. That sight glass shows little fluid in it. I think it is a sight glass for hydraulic fluid, please correct me if this is wrong.

The unit had another sight glass. Round & lower right corner of front, below the "vent" / "operate" lever. I'm pretty sure that is for engine oil.

What fluids/oils should I use. My manual says Shell Tellus S2 V 32 Non-foaming Oil. That sounds like hydraulic fluid, right? The only other reference I can find is for "P40 oil".

Are these commomly available in the truckstop? Are they known by another more common name? I am terrified I'll put wrong fluid oil in the unit. The truck & Hydra Chem are brand new. My operation is currently establishing a new terminal so we are not fully staffed & supplied for our maintenance needs.

I've only used the unit for air off of product. I appreciate any help you can offer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    It's hyrdaulic fluid. The P40 might reference the ISO number which is basically the viscosity. Heavier (lower) iso in winter, lighter in summer. So like 36 to 68 range for ISO #'s.

How do you like your Hydrachem and how much did it cost? I'm looking for a replacement to my shaft driven air compressor and roper pump. Another driver told me about Hydrachem all in one which looks like the solution I need.

4. Orange713

Orange713 Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Houston, tx
    Call paragon I just used the shell hydraulic fluid when I changed it

5. Orange713

Sep 14, 2013
    Houston, tx
    It’s a good system if you do a lot of pumping and airing off. I paid 8500 for the unit that’s with the reverse button and biggest pump and air compressor you can get on the system. Been having it seven months

ncdriver1 Thanks this.
  6. ncdriver1

Dec 3, 2012
    I don't use it that often but it's a requirement and I do get the accessory pay for it even if its customer offload.

$8500...did that include the pto+hydro pump and installation? Also what is the reverse button?

7. Orange713

Sep 14, 2013
    Houston, tx
    To reverse the pump we do pump ons where I’m at but it’s an additional 2k for installation pto come with it

ncdriver1 Thanks this.
  8. ncdriver1

Dec 3, 2012
    Got it, thanks for the info!

9. Orange713

Sep 14, 2013
    Houston, tx
    No problem

10. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    The small sight glad at the bottom right is for the compressor oil.
    We have some trucks with them but you can not push all of the product out of your hoses. They need to have a vane pump.

11. ulenie

ulenie Medium Load Member

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Did you end up getting this? It's pretty expensive. Not sure if worth it with Superior as I barely unload in system runs

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.