What should I do? 2015 Volvo VNL 780

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by The Gryphon, May 8, 2014.

1. The Gryphon

The Gryphon Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Company just put me in a brand new 2015 Volvo VNL 780 with those multi - band antennas.

I can't talk to anyone on them so I'm trying to decide what to do.

Running a stock radio and RD mike, not looking to talk for more than 2-3 miles.

Run my own co-phase coax to 2 Wilson 2000?

Run a single Wilson 2000 like I had on my KW 660?

Just replace the stock multiband antennas with the 2 Wilson 2000s?

I want my AM/FMCSA radio to continue to work.

Not opposed to leaving stock antennas in place and adding my CB antenna(s).

But if I do that I need to find a mount that will attach to the 3/8" stock mounts and adds a 3/8" mount for the new antenna(s). I envision a flat piece of steel or aluminum with two 3/8" holes in it but having trouble finding anyone that makes it.

What should I do?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Stew209

Stew209 Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Out in the Sticks
    I would just run your own setup. I just got out of a Volvo but I had a dual setup and worked great. I just left the stock stuff alone and bought everything I needed to mount my setup.

4. The Gryphon

Nov 3, 2011
    Bought a perch mount. Gonna run my own coax and a single Wilson 2000.

Just for fun, added a RM Italy KL 203-P.

5. Stew209

Stew209 Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Out in the Sticks
    I was running dual 6ft firestik antennas with the 18ft fire-flex coax and mounting on top of the mirror with those mirror mounts. My radio is a Cobra29 w/ blue tooth that's been tuned and I can get some really good range out of it.

6. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

Bird perch works fine. I found that the big 1-1/4" mirror mount that Roadpro sells works well, if you take a piece of braid and run it from the mount to one of the mirror screws (into the door).

Don't bother with running dual antennas. While you can (theoretically) get some gain from them, it's not worth the headache of tuning two antennas. If you like the look, just mount the second one and don't connect it to anything; consider it a spare.

I'm surprised that the stock setup isn't working for you. I get a couple of miles easily on my stock 670 with an untouched (legal!) CB.

7. The Gryphon

Nov 3, 2011
    Part of the problem is that the 2015 have those "shrouds" on the mirror mounts for aerodynamic purposes.

So, I bought the perch mounts and I'll put my Wilson 2000 on the driver side and my Wilson cellular antenna on the passenger side and leave the stock antennas in place.

I'm running my own RG-8 to the upper CB location to get it off the dash (where the stock coax terminates).

So, I get the additional benefit of getting the radio off my dash.

8. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    I'm running a older Phillipines 148GTL on the original single antenna, with the shroud with no problems, and can hear and get out fine.

9. cadillacdude1975

cadillacdude1975 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    use the "bird perch" and your choice of antenna with your own coax. i have driven volvos for years and this is the best setup out there for them. no issues at all running any radio. amps can be run too, but they need to be run direct to the batteries for best performance. any radio should be run right off the batteries, but sometimes you cant do that on company owned trucks.

10. The Gryphon

Nov 3, 2011
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted