What should I look for in a new truck?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Bdog, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Well not new but new to me.

I got my first truck in 2015. 2007 379 with a C13 and 10spd. Not sure ratio. It is a short wheelbase truck with a small sleeper. I very rarely sleep in the truck and am considering a day cab but not opposed to another sleeper.

Anyway this is the first and the only truck I have ever driven. It works but just lacks power, or gears, or both not sure really. On flat roads I can set the cruise at 80 no problem but on the slightest hills it falls on its face. Passing people on two lane roads is darn near impossible because it takes too long to build up speed.

Today I was driving on Texas roads with 75 & 80 mph speed limits. I would come up fast on governed trucks doing 65 and when I would try to pass them in passing lanes on the hills they would leave me in the dust. It seems my truck is one of the slowest at hills and they are not big hills. I followed a truck doing 60 today for 50 miles past a dozen passing lanes because I could never get up enough to speed to get around him in the length of the passing lanes.

I know driving isn’t a race but I typically am traveling in a convoy with several pickups and would like to be able to maintain the speed limit and not be that guy creeping up hills with the flashers on.

I haul a flatbed with my own equipment. Typical gross weight is 60-65k. I don’t drive a whole lot maybe 6-8 days a month but those days are usually around 500 miles. I don’t want to go overboard but I have about decided to trade my truck in on something better. Do I just need more HP? I think mine is rated at 435. Would a 13 or 18 spd make a big difference? Not having ever driven any other trucks I just don’t know.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    Sounds like something is wrong with your engine from what you described. 435hp is not a lot, but is plenty.
    Had a 425hp 3406B back in the days. If I catch up with someone I’ll pass them without a problem.

Bdog Thanks this.
  4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    To achieve that you probably need faster rear ends and more motor.

I'd buy a small coffin sleeper, 550+ horse 1850+ torque, 3.08 rear ends. Maybe even 2.79 or 2.64 if mostly always on flat land, but 3.08 should cut it. Ideally if you have a good 6nz or 3406 cat you can build it a bit (injectors and turbo) and tune it so you can run 800 horse and probably 2400 torque. With 3.08 that thing will be a beast. If you must maintain your driving habits and forget about fuel economy, that is. I prefer an 18 speed but a 13 would probably be just fine as well. If you decide to go to very fast rear ends, below 3.08, get the 18 speed. You need the double overdrive final. If you get a 10 speed direct final even with 2.64 your rpm will be high at like 70 mph leaving you not much left when you need that 75-80 which is what I suspect is happening now.

Bdog Thanks this.
  5. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    1st off I dont see any reason to run 75+mph when loaded up.

But what trans do you have? What rpm's are you at when in top gear at say 70mph?

If you bought the truck used, there's no telling if its been electronically limited. Its possible to limit rpm and power in every gear.

Bdog and exhausted379 Thank this.
  6. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Btw a 379 with a C13 is a heck of a truck, not much better out there. There's so many things you can do to that truck to fine tune it to what you want.

Bdog Thanks this.
  7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I think he's part of a crew and pays them by the hour
    So every 1 hour more on the road costs him a lot more than the fuel saved
    The crew travels as a convoy, I think

Bdog and Ruthless Thank this.
  8. Milr72

Milr72 Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    S W Missouri
    The rear end gear ratio is the problem, he's geared for speed not pulling.

Bdog Thanks this.
  9. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone

10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    You should be able to get a decent tuner to put on that to help the power a little bit, I'd find a good independent truck repair shop that knows more about them though.

Bdog Thanks this.
  11. Steve from hutch

Steve from hutch Medium Load Member

Your truck sounds like it is down on power, when were the fuel filters changed? Do you have a DPF? 07 build shouldn't but, exhaust restriction? Get the ECM set to 500/1750 What RPM are you at when the truck is on the hills loosing power?

Steve

Bdog Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.