What should I look for in a new truck?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Bdog, Jan 10, 2019.

1. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    I get the resale thing, but just look at the 12.7 Detroit. Great engine and will run 80k, 90k, 100k lbs with no problem. Reliable, long lasting and not real expensive to repair.

Im in a 3.55 geared T660 with and ISX and a 13. It'll pull whatever I want as fast as I want, but Im not gonna win any races to the top of the hill, and Im alright with that. Cause I'll still get where Im going.

I'll bet anything the OP's truck is turned down and not making all the power it could. I guess if he responds and answers my questions, we'll figure out more.

cke and PoleCrusher Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Is there a tire missing? Can't really see.

cke and PoleCrusher Thank this.
  5. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Thanks for the replies guys. I have been in the field working and have zero service about 13 hours a day.

Anyway to answer some questions. Yes I travel with my crew that is paid by the hour. We don’t break the speed limit but want to travel as fast as legally possible. Any fuel savings going slower are outweighed by more crew wages. For whatever reason it also seems we are often going places that you have to drive hard to make it in a day.

I did buy the truck used. I have no idea if it has any limiters. I have changed the fuel filters on it several times and never noticed a change in power. The most recent filter change was 4,000 miles ago.

It has a 10 speed. I looked in my paperwork and it is 430 HP, 3.36 rear end, 234 wheelbase, 38” bunk. Tires are 22.5 LP.

At 70 mph it is around 1500 rpm. It doesn’t seem to have any rev limit I can go up to 2000 rpm though I don’t. On flat ground I have had it up to 85 on I-10.

What happens is I hit a small hill and speed and rpms drop. I shift to 9th at about 60 mph and speed drops still, sometimes I have to hit 8th. Some of the hills between Junction and Kerrville are probably the worst hills I encounter and I will slow to around 45 on them.

The truck has no DPF and is straight piped with 7” stacks.

I guess I need to search for a shop to check it out. Do I need an independent one? There is a CAT dealer in my town can they check/tune the engine? I drive by it all the time but all I see there is a bunch of heavy equipment.

6. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Also I forgot to add the truck has 850k miles. The motor had a platinum overhaul at around 700k I think - before I bought it.

7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Cat should be able to turn it up, I say an independent shop like one that's a dealer for bullydog, or a good tuner like that.

Bdog Thanks this.
  8. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Sounds like a solid truck. Id bet its turned down is all. We've got a couple T600s with C15's and they're neutered and feel gutless, it saves the engjne from oilfield drivers that hammer on them with no cares.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.