What slows down you gas haulers

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Lonewolf2000, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Lonewolf2000

Lonewolf2000 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    Im looking to get into gas tanker work in the next 6 months to a year. I currently do otr and I have a number of things that slow me down. Taking to long to get loaded or unloaded/ picking up or dropping a trailer at a remote location a mile or so from the shipper or receiver loads not being ready etc. what slows you down from completing a load of gas/diesel. My guess is traffic/people parked at loading zone at station/trucks ahead of you at loading rack?. Although the trucks at the loading rack are probably just as anxious to be on their way as you are plus I spoke to a gas tanker driver and he said it once you hook up hoses at the rack it doesn’t take very long to get loaded. I wonder if his definition of not very long is the same as mi e.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    You can get loaded in 15-20 minutes if everything works out right. Most hang ups are lines at the rack or getting load numbers that don’t work.

shogun and Canned Spam Thank this.
  4. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    I get paid by the hour and really don't care what slows me down, honestly, but I'm probably the exception. Lose the most time at the loading racks for sure though. Have books and Netflix to pass the time. Traffic is never really that bad here in St Louis but imagine that could be a hindrance in a place like Chicago or the northeast

Mooseontheloose and mustang190 Thank this.
  5. Lonewolf2000

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    Is 15-20 once you have hoses hooked up or from the time you enter till when you leave?.

6. Lonewolf2000

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    Traffic isn’t bad in St. Louis not even at rush hour?.

7. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    It all depends. If you have to use 3 different load numbers for different products and have to card In and out after every product you’ll be there awhile. If you have a straight load of diesel and one load number, it goes really quick. I always kept a notepad with each compartment numbered and how many gallons I was putting in that compartment

8. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    I can be in the rack and gate to gate under 20 minutes if I’m the only truck in there. Once you get into a station it takes anywhere from 30-45 to unload. If you have a full load of one product it’ll take the longest. I do a lot of wet hose work now so I only unload at a station what i don’t use at the end of my route.

9. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Some times I have to wait a few minuets for a airplane to get fueled up and move out of the way.

D.Tibbitt and scythe08 Thank this.
  10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    We have a couple of convenience stores we deliver to. We try to do them at night or real early in the morning.
    During the day it's hard to get the truck close enough to the fill spouts because of all the cars going in and out.
    The driver usually has to cone-off the area and then try to get in there when he can find room.

11. 379_largecar

379_largecar Light Load Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Louisville, ky
    Like its been said before the rack can slow you down. Once you get in to load should take no more than 30 mins to load. The first couple of months will be a learning curve just figuring out best ways in and out of gas stations and learning where the veeder root is and getting a strap chart. I also had a little note book of key details for each stop. Some id do daily but others i may only haul once a month so it was handy. And if you load from several racks it may take 2 months to get carded and always remember your TWIC pin number.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.