What sort of autonomy do you have as the driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by mstabosz, Aug 12, 2008.

1. mstabosz

mstabosz Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2008
    A 30+ year veteran driver named Bob once told me a story.

Bob said that a colleague of his was driving a load north through Virginia during a winter storm. The snow and ice got heavier and heavier. The driver told the dispatcher that the weather was getting pretty harsh and he wanted to shut down for the night. The dispatcher would hear none of it. The dispatcher kept screaming that the load needed to get to the destination right away. The driver, failing to get permission from the dispatcher, just kept going. Eventually he came upon a bridge, hit some ice, and skidded off into the water.

Maybe that was an extreme example, due to the weather. What I'm asking, I think, is how much right does a trucker have to say "I am stopping right now."

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    You have the right to refuse to drive in adverse conditions. Its your license, not theirs. They can scream all they want, but if the conditions are conducive to an accident, I say pull over, they will get over it.

4. Iwanttobeatrucker

Iwanttobeatrucker Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Your life, your career.....YOUR choice!!!

5. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    As captain of the ship what do you think?

Like BHW said.... its your license, not theirs. In a wreck YOU will be liable, not the company.

6. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    Just be sure you are nice when you tell them what is going on and were to go!!:smt071

7. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    In the case of ice and snow, I would ask the dispatcher where the "Snow-Cat" switch is located on the rig and if they are comfortable sitting in their nice warm office with a nice cup of Joe next to them. :biggrin_25525:

8. Socy Grad

Socy Grad Medium Load Member

Has anyone ever had difficulty telling them or had to face sanctions from their employers for refusing to operate in unsafe weather?

9. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

Actually, when they tell me I have to keep driving in those conditions, I just tell them I will park here until they get here to finish the load.

HIDIVE and panhandlepat Thank this.
  10. CANGST

CANGST Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Oxnard, CA
    I would not work for a company that pulled that BS. If you get in a wreck, they are not going to take responsibility and they are certainly not going to make up for the lost income if you loose your license or are injured. I would just pull over and turn my phone off.

11. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    When I was on route delivery, we had a big snow storm followed by freezeing rain...I was told I was a worthless piece of (you know) and if I wanted to keep my (ummmming) job I would have to work... So I chained up and went, now for the record I'm not even sure it is legal to use chains on the highway in WI....Anyway four wrecker bills and about 19 hours latter the route was finished..... And I was back out five hours latter to do it again, only 15 hours or so that day......So the short answer is yes sanctions are stuck in drivers faces every day......as I see it all management hates drivers.

Socy Grad Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.