What starter truck would you recommend?? How much should Ipay??

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 3DT, Apr 15, 2021.

1. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    greasing once a year whether it needs it or not and an oil change or two in its life time is far from “well maintained”

you have a far way to go before worrying about buying a truck with these questions

Bean Jr. and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I usually got 4.5 when I was running local/regional with roadrailers and containers.
    That was with a 1986 Ford LTL 9000 444 Cummins 13 speed .
    And with a 91 international cabover 9700.
    All The stopping and starting and idling all day kills the mpg .

GYPSY65 Thanks this.
  4. PhantomLLC

PhantomLLC Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Chelsea, AL
    @3DT More than what kind of truck for me would be finding a truck for sale that you know if possible. Friend or family member that is selling a truck that you know for sure has been maintained. If that’s not a possibility look for a local truck thats in your price range and has just had the brakes done, or has new tires, new shocks, has a fresh rebuild with papers etc. Some sort of a recent investment that may keep you from coming too much out of pocket straight away. I’m assuming you’ll be looking for a day cab. As far as an automatic goes I think that the Volvos or Mack would be a good way to go. Freightliner has a solid setup as well. Volvo i drove for a week seemed to have a really nice turning radius best I recall. Don’t be scared to haggle either. Just be patient, don’t get frustrated with this market and don’t buy it unless it’s what you want.

5. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    All good points and if the seller forearm have receipts for the work, it wasn’t done.

if they say the engine was rebuilt but don’t have papers, then the engine wasn’t rebuilt, the seller is lying,

6. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Personally I am a Freightliner lover. If you know anything about servicing vehicles, you will know how to fix the simple things that make up their bad nicknames, Also mind you Freightliners arent what they were of the 1980's. Freightliners are the majority of trucks that are out there with a detroit engine. Get something that has popular parts. The oddbal stuff like caterpillar? Well there is a reason why they are pricey. Parts are hard to get. When parts are hard to get? You will be stuck in a shop saying What The Hell!

My recomendation is that you want something that you can search the history on. You can seearch vin #'s for trucks online. Any truck that has had repairs at a truck shop will have had its VIN entered and is there to be revealed. If you cant seearch it, there is a good chance they may have taken it to some one whom didnt know how to work on the modern stuff.

Oh and around 30-35k for cost

7. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Just something to throw in the hopper, don’t scared if the Freightliner has the Mercedes Benz engine. Every Freightliner I have driven had that engine. Those things just keep on, keeping on.

PhantomLLC Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.