What to buy with 150k

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ruckusftlc, Apr 30, 2021.

1. ruckusftlc

ruckusftlc Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2018
    I got into trucking 2 years ago. I like it most of the times. My goal it’s to become Own operator I’m 28. I don’t wanna lease trough any company or whatever. My question to u guys it’s what would u buy with 150k? Tractor+trailer? Brand new tractor?
    I actually wanted to get a 2005 379 but the MPG (5.5) it’s to high. I consider more to buy a newer freightliner cascadia or Volvo 860 and save around 15-20k on fuel per year.
    please write some recommendations. thank you

slow.rider Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    Spend around 50k on truck and trailer and keep that 100k in the bank for when you need it

4. ruckusftlc

Nov 30, 2018
    What truck would you recommend? Most truck I see around 40k have already 700K+ miles.

5. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    I'm not the one to ask about that better people on here that know alot more then me. All I can say is look around find something you like then read about the engine what's common problems it have all that good stuff. But hopefully someone with more knowledge then me replys.

Some people might say buy new so you can have a warranty witch is a good idea to.

6. ruckusftlc

Nov 30, 2018
    thank you for honesty. That’s what I also thought just get a new one at the dealership and have 500kmiles warranty any then sell after 5 years and get the next one.
    I would love to get a older 379 but the MPG difference would probably pay my insurance for the entire year

slow.rider and Coffey Thank this.
  7. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    Yea its a big debate wither to buy new or used im on buying used side but I like to have stuff payed off. You can get decent mpg with them long nose truck just depends on how you drive them but the best thing with them is the resell value.
    I'm also of the opinion if you got the money buy what you want to drive your gonna be living in it I love them flat top long nose truck and wouldn't mind having a cabover either.
    There are other threads on here that say what year trucks to avoid buying and other people opinions on the used or new debate but it all come down to you thought process and how you plan on running your business.
    Other than that good luck in what ever you decide to do

slow.rider and ibcalm19 Thank this.
  8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I had a used 2011 truck I got with about 480,000 miles. It had 600,000 miles parts and labor warranty on engine. It was a disaster in repairs. They did crazy amount of warranty work. The downtime was to much. Truck was always in the shop. I would lean more to new because I had so much trouble with a used truck.

I'm driving a 2020 freightliner cascadia company truck. I got the the truck brand new and about 150,000 mile the fuel pump went bad. It took freightliner 15 days to get the parts and fix the truck. Glad I was not paying for the truck anymore. It was under warranty but 15 days is crazy for fuel pump. Plus they did update and installed an extra filter. Because when fuel pump goes it put metal shavings in fuel tanks and stuff. So they also had take fuel tank off I believe and clean it out.

The One Box emissions system freightliner uses on DD engines seem to go bad about 600,000 miles and those are $12,000 to replace.

Miss the old S60 Detroit Diesel engine days. The were so simple and reliable. But the new truck are amazing how quite they are and 50,000 oil changes and don't burn any oil. Just crazy expensive to repair plus the downtime

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    JoeyJunk, Coffey and slow.rider Thank this.
  9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    My vote is for a new Cascadia.

10. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    If it were me I'd look for as recent as possible 60 series Detroit, probably in a Columbia glider but I wouldn't limit myself, and a 3-5 year old trailer, and set the rest of the cash aside in case of emergency.

Coffey Thanks this.
  11. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    I would say you have 3 routes. New, used, rebuild.

For new if you have 150k you could easily use half as a downpayment on a new truck and have basically zero worrys for at least the first 6 months and a 5 year warranty as well. Payments would be low and easy to deal with. Truck would be to modern emissions so any new laws to come down wont effect you in the near to mid term. And you would get offers for many hauls older trucks would struggle to get. Shippers like new equipment. And you can trade it in when the warranty expires for another nee truck and do that game.

For used you dont know what your going to get. It could be a great truck that goes a million miles without an issue. Or it could be like my pete and eat 40k in the first month in repairs and STILL not be fixed. And that applies regardless if it is a new or old truck.

For a rebuild this is where things get intersting. You could easily buy ANY truck you like for say 20k. Be it a pete, freight shaker, volvo whatever. Then you take it to a shop and you can replace or rebuild the engine, rebuild the transmission and rears, swap out the bushings, shocks, pumps shafts and airbags, reupholster and repaint then you will have what is esentially a brand new truck for half the price unless you go absolutely crazy. This is the least "cost effective" option but has the upside of basically getting the truck built EXACTLY how you want it without paying new prices.

The choice is yours on what you value more though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.