What to charge a mile hauling cars per vehicle?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by jazzyd910, Nov 3, 2021.

1. jazzyd910

jazzyd910 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2020
    I'm i asking for too much per mile a vehicle 1.50 i don't to low ball anyone please help me out. 5 car sun country

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nobroker

Nobroker Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2016
    I think I died and went to heaven if I average 50 cents per mile.
    There are many variables but I think you calculated wrong if you think your 5 cars will ever make $7.50 per mile.

GYPSY65 and mslashbar Thank this.
  4. Andystrans

Andystrans Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2018
    I rarely take a unit paying less then .70/mile. Generally around $1/mile or better, Open carry.
    4A13AE43-D2A9-4F3A-ACA6-EB4BCF3D4FE4.jpeg

5. Nobroker

Nobroker Medium Load Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Do in a perfect world that would get you to $5 per mile, my world is that perfect about one day per year. If you can't do it on a consistent basis or you sit around two days trying to get high paying cars you didn't really gain any income.

6. Andystrans

Andystrans Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2018
    It depends. If I wait a couple days and load out Wednesday vs loading cheap Monday I’ll wait. I feel like taking cheap freight because that is all that is available is a good way to fail in the industry. All my trailers are paid for and I can pay my truck off today if needed to. So I don’t have a problem taking a week or two off if the rates are crap. I’ve left open spots on my trailer because I refuse to load a unit paying .50/mile. More then once, then they end up getting it moved for closer to $1/mile even if by a different carrier. My advice is figure out what it cost you to keep the wheels turning. Right now it’s simply not worth the risk and my time taking cheap paying units. After all expenses paid I’m better off sitting at home

Double Dime Thanks this.
  7. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I no longer haul cars but did that for several years

My rate depended on whether it was 1 pick 1 drop or a all separate orders

If I did have a spot or two open and called on a car (s) to fill the deck I would try and get more on the last two as the first part of the load was usually one customer and was
    Asking what I needed to run as is
    The extra spot or two was dress $

If I had a broker etc that didn’t want to pay my rate I would politely say no problem but whe. I got to say California form say Florida I would call that previous broker as their cars would normally still be on the board and I would tell them. I know we missed the last 2 cars but I’m here in California. Where their cars were going and I would say. Have anything here?

That did 2 things. They knew I was available and could have gotten the job done and it puts that ? In their head that I was able to get the rate somewhere else

roadtech Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.