What to Do? Driver Left Keys on Door.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PE_T, May 18, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

The driver next to me left his keys on the door. I knocked, but no one answered. He left his windows a bit cracked open probably because of the heat.

tscottme and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Leave them where they are he will be back. I wouldn't put them in the truck through the window the doors maybe locked.

Intothesunset, PE_T and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Dont do it. Might be a bait truck

5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I was thinking about taking the truck for a spin. :D

adayrider, mhyn, Dna Mach and 2 others Thank this.
  6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Leave a note on the window. Make a treasure hunt game. Have a series of clues one leads to the next. Then hide them behind his steer tire or somewhere they should be noticed during a pre trip.

JoeyJunk, mp4694330, rank and 7 others Thank this.
  7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Maybe he forgot the keys when he went inside the truckstop, etc.? I would either leave the keys where they are or. If they are hanging in the lock, remove them and set them on the top step just below the lock. That leaves them in sight of the driver who might have forgotten them but less visible to any wandering door knockers. You could gave the business use their PA to announce found keys, if you're at a truckstop/customer.

86scotty, D.Tibbitt and PE_T Thank this.
  8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I saw on tv they do that with cars. Driver takes car to bad neighborhood, driver gets out and walks away from vehicle with the keys in ignition , windows down door unlocked. Cops sitting down the street and wait for someone to steal it and they get them for gta... Wouldnt be surprised if they do it with trucks too , or it could be the poor guy was havin a rough day and a scrambled mind probably dealing with dumb dispatchers and customers, went in to get a shower and left his keys. We all had days like that

9. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    All the comments about 'forgetting the keys'?

Really?
    Who forgets their key in a lock, or simply leaves it there in the open when leaving the truck?
    It is all one motion to put the key in the lock and turn it and pull it out and put it in your pocket.

PE_T and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Stretch really well, do some shoulder rotations, then throw them as far as you can. He will get exercise looking for them.

JoeyJunk, PE_T and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. woolybully35us

woolybully35us Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    ks
    I came crossed a truck in mo that a driver left his keys in the pass. door. I knocked on the door many times .he came walking up behind me walking his dog. asked if there was a problem . I told him he left his keys in his pass door he told me he had been looking for them for 3 days. thanked me an went on his way

JoeyJunk, 86scotty, im6under and 8 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.