What to do when a shipper does not pay a broker?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by FlashBolt, Jul 20, 2017.

1. FlashBolt

FlashBolt Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2017
    What would you do if a shipper has not paid out an invoice after the 30 day term? do i call my bond? What do can I do other then call a collection agency to get paid.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Call and talk with them politely, remind them the terms of the agreement. If no pay, then time for Vinnie and associated parties to get involved

1951 ford, noluck, LoudOne and 2 others Thank this.
  4. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Remember it's 30 days from when they receive the invoice. So you mailed it, it sits 30 days, then check gets cut next day they write checks(possibly another week) then it's mailed. Most broker loads are 45 days by the time you get it.

5. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Doesn't matter if the shipper paid the broker. The agreement was between you and broker. The broker has the problem of collecting from shipper, not you.

cnsper, noluck, LoudOne and 6 others Thank this.
  6. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Agreed........ whether the shipper paid the broker isnt your problem. The broker is still expected to pay you.... on time.

7. flatbeb mac

flatbeb mac Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2015
    And if a broker says that he can't pay until he's paid, never haul another load for that broke broker.

stayinback and Sublime Thank this.
  8. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah if you took the load from a broker he still has to pay you on time. The only time we take the line that broker is taking is on one particular account that requires originals. Basically if you don't turn in originals to us you're going to be waiting with us for the customer to pay, and it will be a while... But normally we pay right at 21 days so that our average days to pay is <30.

9. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    I think the OP is a broker that hasn't been paid. Wants to know if he can go to his own bond.

mslashbar and noluck Thank this.
  10. FlashBolt

FlashBolt Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2017
    yes he is a new shipper we just got and i spoke to him and he said he will send payment out in a week, now if he breaks our 30 day agreement can i charge him a fee for going past the 30 days?

11. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Oh lol. Yeah I definitely don't think it's a good idea to operate a freight brokerage without knowing how collections works. Suggests you probably don't know how anything about credit... And that will put you out of business more or less immediately.

LoudOne and flatbeb mac Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.