What to expect during my mentorship

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Penumbra, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Penumbra

Penumbra Medium Load Member

Jul 29, 2019
    greetings all!

I leave tomorrow for my mentorship with PAM. I’m very nervous!

1) I know for a fact that I don’t know how to drive. Let’s be honest, trucking school teaches you to pass the test, not how to actually drive! I’m sure we will be working on maneuvers and what not.

2) I know nothing about being an actual truck driver. I’m sure that will be taken care of over the next two weeks.

I know at the end there will be a test on DOT info, so I’m sure that’ll be studied while on the road.

I guess...what will I be doing the next two weeks? I don’t like the unknown!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    When I got my CLD I did the free training with a mega trucking company, well maybe not mega then, they only had 1,800. They did a pretty good job at teaching us how to drive. They had us do more city drive learning the turns and dealing with cars.

Their are all kinda of little things, like you need 4 lanes to make a right turn or you have to split the lanes. If turning left you pull up till you shoulder is at front corner of car or truck. Then you turn and the trailer should clear the car without hitting it. Always stop with two feet behind a car or stop line. Because if the car need to backup or another truck is turning, you never have back up. Your already leaving room if the car needs to backup or if a truck is turning and he cuts it short he has a little extra room for trailer to cross the stop line. You NEVER want to back up at intersection or on the road.

Dumdriver, meechyaboy and MericanMade Thank this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Keep your fingers crossed that you get a mentor you get along with. Some of them are there for the little bump in pay, and don't care much about their student. Hopefully you'll have somebody that will be in the passenger seat while you drive giving you advice, and not asleep in the bunk collecting half of your mileage pay while he sleeps. If you don't feel that he's putting enough effort into teaching you the basics, call your manager and tell them you want somebody else. No sense in wasting time.

A few things you'll want to really pay attention to are,
    1. Backing
    2. Learning to chain up tires
    3. Sliding trailer tandems
    4. Pre-trip and post-trip inspections
    5. Trip planning
    6. Legal weights and how to adjust trailer and skid plate

Count on it not being much fun cooped up with another person in such a small space for a few weeks. You're there to learn, and if he's willing to do the job right it will pay off for you in the long run. Once you learn the basics, it will be up to you to develop good habits to get the job done right in the future.

Good luck.

snowmantrucking101 Thanks this.
  5. Skorge

Skorge Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2019
    Dont complain, ask alot of questions and follow every rule he has in that truck.

Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  6. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Mentorship...yea.

Maybe you'll get the trainer that ####s himself and doest bathe, maybe you'll get the guy that uses you as the mule to boost his miles & pay and doesnt teach you anything. Maybe you'll get the guy who is a miserable ahole.

What other bad trainer posts have we had here over time? Maybe others can add to the list.

Good Luck OP!

7. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Just observe more than anything. You will pick up some things regardless of how good they are at training.

Take your time. If you don’t do anything stupid, it’s a win. Relax and take your time. Better to be late than do something stupid. There will be wrong/missed turns. Relax and stop and figure it out if safe.

Just remember 1 motto about little things like missing turns, etc

“If that’s the worst thing that happens today, it’s a good day”

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I want you to eat a can of Stagg Dynamite Hot Chili twice daily. Morning and in the evening. Strait from the can. For the duration of you're training.

9. Penumbra

Jul 29, 2019
    When I talked to my leison, they said he was one of their longest serving mentors with very good reviews from his students.

They could be blowing smoke up my bum, but fingers crossed!

SteveScott and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  10. Penumbra

Jul 29, 2019
    Dave, I can’t even eat regular stagg lol the mentor would not appreciate that!

WesternPlains and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  11. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Stop with the mentor stuff. They're just guys who get a bump in pay for "training" a newb.

starmac and Concorde Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.