What to expect in the first days...

Discussion in 'FedEx' started by John A., Mar 23, 2019.

1. John A.

John A. Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2018
    Montgomery, MI
    I finally got accepted into the FXF DDC and I'm starting Monday night. I was wondering, as the title says, what to expect in the beginning. Will I be working the dock first day, dress code recommendations, etc. Any insights are greatly appreciated...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Are you going in with your CDL or no? Your first two weeks will be computer based learning and you won't really do anything on the dock until you have your employee badge and forklift certification.

Keep it simple, if you have solid black boots/nonslip work shoes, wear them with clean jeans and a tucked in polo as you'll be in the office during your CBE.

Regardless of if you have your permit or CDL, on Monday get to a TSA fingerprint center and begin the Hazmat background process as it will take 2-3 weeks for you to get your letter from DHS.

John A. Thanks this.
  4. John A.

Jun 21, 2018
    Montgomery, MI
    Thanks for the response. I didn't even think about the forklift certification. I've got my CDL and all my endorsements already but only have a couple weeks experience. Didn't know if I should dress for 20 degree weather, lol.

McUzi Thanks this.
  5. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    When you do your fork certification test, also ask if you can be certified on the hostler tractor as well. Your instructor may or may not do it, but worth a shot and a good feather to have in your hat.

John A. Thanks this.
  6. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    How’d the first day go?

7. John A.

Jun 21, 2018
    Montgomery, MI
    I'll be starting at 10 tonight. Super excited.....

McUzi Thanks this.
  8. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    How’d the night shift run ya?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I am curious about that too. If he did not complain of staying awake I would be surprised.

It's too bad I came here late, one of my thoughts would be to 5 days prior to start of night shift is to start sleeping by day to flip the body clock over.

McUzi Thanks this.
  10. John A.

Jun 21, 2018
    Montgomery, MI
    Wasn't bad at all. Everyone's really cool. All I did was toured the dock and then watched about 7 hours of videos. I think tonight I'm gonna finish up the videos and start the computer based stuff.

As far as staying awake, no problem there. I've worked swing shifts and 12 hour nights a lot before so I'm pretty good at switching my schedule around. I actually prefer working nights because it gives me the freedom to sleep 2nd or 1st shift depending on what my day requires.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    McUzi Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.