what to you do to stay warm?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by oldslowchevy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. oldslowchevy

oldslowchevy Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    morristown tn
    i work for a very small 3 truck company and at this time we do not have bunk heaters or apu's though they are beeing looked into. but for know what have you all done to stay warm without idling? i have to idle tonight and this is only the second night in a month that i have needed to.

i have tried candles in the past but i don't trust the open flame(s) while i sleep, i hate sleeping bags, i looked in to a electric heater but it can draw upto 28 amps an hour so you would need to idle the truck to stay warm so that is pointless i have beem sleeping with up to 2 sweat suits on one of which is a hoodie. but there has to be some thing better till we get bunk heaters or apu's

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fisher guy

fisher guy Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    just use a sleeping bag just dont zip it up and use it as a normal blanket thats what i do really warm if u have 2 lol if not i say just run the truck if the boss doesnt want to pay the fuel then that'll get him to get the apu faster

4. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    just idle the truck, the more idleing cost your boss the faster he'll buy APU's.....

American Trucker

5. slowlane

slowlane Light Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Crystal River, Florida
    3 truck company? No onboard electronics to monitor idle I'd guess? Idle and be comfortable. Slow down a little to make it up if you feel guilty.

6. losttrucker

losttrucker Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2008
    greenville,nc
    I have one of the bunk warming pads that you sleep on top of and plugs into the cig lighter. I have slept in CHicago with it snowing and wind blowing about 28 degrees and wasnt cold at all. In 3 years I have never turned it up past half way and it draws very little current. I paid something like $25 bucks at a T/A for it.

HOWEVER waking up and waiting for the truck to warm up is a B@(#H!!!

shriner75 and heyns57 Thank this.
  7. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    A quality sleeping bag, used as stated earlier will do the trick. I rarely idle in the winter.

I have a bunk heater and use a simple blanket now. But that sleeping bag STAYS on the truck during winter months. You never know when that heater will take a crap. And our trucks no longer idle between 20 - 70 degrees.

Most outdoor equip stores sell a flat folding "stove", just large enough to hold a can of Sterno. Use one of those if you're concerned about open flames. Stove is about $6, and adds a level of protection from the flame. And Sterno is still cheap, and safe for indoor use.

Link for the stove... http://www.cabelas.com/backpacking-stoves-sterno-portable-folding-stove-1.shtml

8. mg1224

mg1224 Light Load Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Western South East
    CondoCruiser and Truckinchic Thank this.
  9. BossOutlaw88

BossOutlaw88 Road Train Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Cali
    I use my webasto heater off and on throughout the night. I use thick comforter and sheets on my bed.

10. Honch

Honch Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Ohio
    Got a plush Coleman sleeping bag (unzipped), Afghan blanket on top of that and a Webasto heater. Works for me.

11. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    he will just cut the rate of pay to make up for the $40/night of idling

i dont have an apu, and most nights, it just use blankets, and blankets and blankets (one comforter, 4 wool blankets, foam under the mattress and between the sheets)

and unless it gets below 10deg or so (which is rare) i never idle

i get up, start the truck, go back under the blankets, by the time it gets hot under the blankets, (about 45min) then i start my day

but thats because it is my truck, if i worked as a company driver, i would idle all night because if he is too cheap to let me sleep in comfort (as he sleeps at home in comfort) then i dont need to work for him

one of the advantages of being a company driver is that you are not to bear the cost of the company's issues (tires, maintenance, etc) and providing a certain level of comfort for your drivers is part of managements responsibility

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.