what to you do to stay warm?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by oldslowchevy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    I'm in the same position as you oldslowchevy just me and the boss. I can idle if I want but he appreciates if I try to save fuel whenever possible. When I started working for him he told me if I need to idle to get a good nights sleep do it I don't need you falling asleep behind the wheel because you didn't sleep well.

I recently received a bump in my pay and I strongly believe its because I try my best to save him a few bucks when I can.

Dave 1960 and oldslowchevy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pound Puppy

Pound Puppy Heavy Load Member

May 31, 2010
    Amherst, OH
    Three thick blankets and a cat. Yes, a cat. my cat Ferguson rides with me. At night he gets under the blanket and sleeps against my back,he puts out more heat than a electric heat blanket.

Numb Thanks this.
  4. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    I use 5-6 blankets and wear sweats when I go to bed. I will warm up the truck right before I go to bed and usually about the time I'm ready to get up it's just getting cold in the truck. I also put blankets over the windows, that is where you lose the most heat.

5. twolane

twolane Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Arizona
    I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this has already been mentioned?...

Mr.Heater www.mrheater.com has several models that can be bought at stores like True Value, or www.northerntool.com . These are ceramic heaters that use those 1lb. cans of propane. These things are safe for use in a vehicle, rv, enclosed areas, etc. I have the largest one in a travel trailer and it works great.
    The smallest one would be plenty in a truck. They are free standing and very stable. It has an oxygen sensor & will shut off if it's tiped over.
    Hope this helps

BTW, I'm refering to the "buddy" models

cowboy_tech Thanks this.
  6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Not allowed per the fmcsa rules.

7. twolane

Dec 16, 2010
    Arizona
    There is no flame with this unit, & the propane bottles used are dot approved. Don't have the book in front of me and would hate to give bad advice so please advise.

8. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    twolane Thanks this.
  9. twolane

Dec 16, 2010
    Arizona
  10. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  11. oldslowchevy

oldslowchevy Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    morristown tn
    lol i can see it now, "what are you in for?" and i say "idling" lol up to 1 year imprisonment for idle..... isn't 1 year or more a felony?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.