What types of insurance do I need before I can drive my new truck off the lot?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Midnightrider909, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I know if there are multiple types of truck insurance and a lot of those can be taken care of through the company I plan to lease on with. I have heard that using the company insurance plan limits your ability to leave your carrier and sign on with the new one if things go south. What types of coverage do I need to truly be independent and drive without the permission of my company? My wife and I only have 2 1/2 years of experience driving big rags so private insurance might cost a lot more than the company insurance. Is that true? We both have perfect driving records.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Most lease operators I know furnish their own Bobtail insurance. But if have their name and numbers on your truck, it will mostly be " Mother may I ". That's exactly why I drove to Tennessee and picked up a brand new trailer for a friend. He would have to pay the company he is leased to, to use his own truck to go 400 miles to get the trailer. If you want to be independent get your own authority? But there may be something I'm not in the know about..? Haven't met anyone who knows everything :). Be safe out there.

Midnightrider909 Thanks this.
  4. DieselDrivinDaddy

DieselDrivinDaddy Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Poconos, PA
    Even if you are going to be leasing your truck to a company and using their insurance, you can get separate bobtail insurance to get you home.

I used Progressive and had them write me a policy for liability and physical damage on the tractor. You may need to make a down payment that will be higher than a typical monthly bill, but you’ll be legal and covered.

Once I was ready to get insurance through the carrier I was leasing to, I called Progressive and cancelled that policy.

5. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
  6. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    You need a Non-Trucking Use policy or more commonly called “bobtail” coverage. A commercial insurer won’t write one of these though unless you show them a lease agreement with a carrier first. (Or authority paperwork I suppose). Pretty sure you can’t just go buy a truck and bobtail policy. They want to know what you’re going to be doing with the truck first. And the dealer won’t let you drive off the lot without the insurance.

7. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Are you planning to lease on, or have you been accepted? If you have a pending lease agreement the company can help you.

If you don't have a pending lease you need liability insurance, as the truck is not being used commercial yet, try to get insurance as a rv and run on the dealer tag.

Or you can pay a drive away company, tow truck or have it hauled on a RGN.

8. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Were leasing on with a carrier. I’m going to just use their insurance and get quotes after were up and running. Looks like I need to get that contract signed first.

9. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    You lease to a carrier you have to use their cargo and liability, you can buy unladen liabilty for anyone that meets their requirements, they will offer comp insurance but you can shop and get a better price. Try first guard in Florida.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.