What was the most beneficial piece of advice you received?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Working Class Patriot, May 10, 2009.

1. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Think back to when you were starting out.....
    What word or words of advice aimed you in the right direction?
    And do you still think that advice is still valid to pass along to potential O/O's?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Wow let me think WAYY back lol.

Don't focus on miles, focus on dollars. CPM is overrated and doesn't tell nearly the whole story. Compliments of AMPMWayne and his father.

Overall the more miles you run, the less you will need per mile to succeed, so don't sit and dwell waiting for higher loads, because the amount you will need per mile will only increase each day. Fixed expenses march on and you have to make those payments no matter what, even if you're not making much on that run, it will still contribute to your expenses and make the month easier in the end. There's not much you can do about freight right now, keep your head above water.

4. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    Good Lord, I hope your joking! If not whoever told you that needs to not give advice to others!

No wonder we are all out here going broke!

One of the first things my dad told me, "truck to live , don't live to truck!", and "work smarter not harder". That and don't listen to idiots who give advice like what PharmPhail got...LOL

5. ampm wayne

ampm wayne Heavy Load Member

Jan 13, 2009
    bloomington,in
    Take care of the equiptment and it will take care of you. Advise from my dad.

6. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    That was a messed up response I think you should rethink. While there is a place for angst and political protest amongst a bad economic situation, the math is quite sound. I'm not saying run for fuel. What I am saying is that if you owe 3k a month in expenses, you'd better run at least 6k miles at $1 per mile if you don't want to lose everything. There are far too many people where math was their worst subject and genuinely think they are losing money under $2 a mile or whatever they get stuck in their heads.

7. Working Class Patriot

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    What I do is set a goal to make "X" amount...that is after I know my B.E.P.
    I have to make a certain amount each week...if I fail to meet it that week...my home time is cut short and it's back out.
    Also I try to make every move count and cut down on the dead-heading as much as possible....

For me it's: "We are businessmen and women who also drive a truck....."

8. ampm wayne

ampm wayne Heavy Load Member

Jan 13, 2009
    bloomington,in
    It takes money to survive when you have bills to pay. You have to generate revenue to pay the bills. My dads point is you need to think in dollars not miles. Drivers like Pharm and my dad need to think in DOLLARS generated in a week and compare it to total miles driven in that week. For example I generated $3200 dollars last week and drove 2600 miles. If you just think about every load by the mile you are short sited. It may take a lesser paying load to get you to a higher paying load. Guys that have bills to pay and are sitting around for only HIGH paying loads are going to go broke. If your truck is paid for you have more luxury to wait for the higher paying loads. If you have truck payments and bills to pay you must generate revenue. In summery you need the most money generated in the least amount of miles. That was the advise.

9. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    In times like this we all have to do what we need to do to survive.

Your lack of experience is showing and I'll stick with what I said! Your just lucky I'm in a nice mood, if I'd said what I wanted to, I'd have been kicked off here so fast my head would've spun....:yes2557:. Anyway, who knows, I might be bankrupt before this is all over.....?

10. Working Class Patriot

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Uh, ok...can we get back on topic?......
    I didn't intend for this to be another debate thread....

The Poly-debate threads are over a couple of aisles to the right or....... left....

11. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    So in your theory, a load on your trailer is money in your pocket?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.