What would be a successful owner operators take-home pay percentage?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Boomgoesthedynamite, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Boomgoesthedynamite

Boomgoesthedynamite Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2017
    As a company driver I currently get paid a percentage per load which is usually around 25%. After taxes and a small amount of expenses I probably put 20% of that in my pocket/take home.

What percentage do you think successful owner operators get to keep in their pocket after all the taxes and fees and expenses?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. noluck

noluck Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2011
    greenville,sc
    Not enough information to compute.

4. Boomgoesthedynamite

Boomgoesthedynamite Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2017
    It's just a general question about industry profit margins.

5. mudflap77

mudflap77 Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2010
    South western Ontario
    I think what noluck is getting at is there is far too many what ifs to make a stab in the dark
    Simple as driving habits between 2 o/o in identical trucks could be $5,000/yr or more in fuel cost alone.. Depending on other factors that amount could be a significant % of profits

noluck Thanks this.
  6. MM71

MM71 Heavy Load Member

Jun 28, 2008
    AZ
    I pay myself 30% ... have since I started out. Same as I would pay a topped out employee.

7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Usually, like in you case, 50% goes for operating expenses, 25% to the driver and 25% to the owner of the truck. In reality it can range from 0 to 100% depending on the type of work, season, e.t.c

Lepton1 and Sandman 660 Thank this.
  8. Sandman 660

Sandman 660 Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Weatherford, Texas
    Are you talking about owners who're independent or leasing their truck(s) to a company(ies)?
    Every place is different, and it depends on how much you drive and how fast you drive. Your operating costs have lots of factors too.
    I know about 2 of the mega carriers.
    Swift has a scale that pays $1.18 per mile under 100 miles and it pays less as you get over 300 miles to $1.12 per mile. All empty miles are $1.11
    Schneider, depending on The board you choose to work, or if you're tanker or hazmat pays 65% of the load.
    Hope that helps a little.
    2 of my family members are also owners like me and they haul intermodal locally from a rail depot to customers regionally. They make $1.06 per mile and $60 per hazmat load. At Swift I only get $40 per hazmat but a better per mile.
    Another friend who's an owner op at Pam gets paid millage.
    All 4 of us range around $90k per year. All of us do hazmat and have tanker endorsements but none of us pull tankers.
    Hope this helps a little

9. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    There is a certain pattern. Take home percentage diminishes at a quicker rate as the gross mileage increases despite increasing gross pay that comes with it. More wear and tear and maintenance, also less per mile rate are the factors. So, if there is a lot of long distance miles, there is a smaller take home percentage. If there is less miles,as in more regional runs, the percentage increases. For example, for a dry van, running long distance, over 150k all odometer miles a year can give you over 220 gross from which you take home 100 -120K. In more regional runs, up to 80k miles a year can generate realistically 150- 160k a year but the take home percentage is much higher, if I can extrapolate my own year to date experience, about 80 - 90k.
    When I was running long distance my profit per mile was about 72 - 75 c (based on all miles), in this regional, (much more home time set up), it is somewhere 1 - 1.10. It has increased in the last few months substantially.

River-driver Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.