What would happen: DOT inspection with a leaking fuel tank

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by icemerg, Apr 22, 2019.

1. icemerg

icemerg Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Athens, GA
    the leak is about one drop every 4 seconds. Would we get fined, put out of service, etc?

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Some places definitely oos. Maybe call out the hazmat guys to contain and clean up the leaking, drain your tanks. May depend on how close you are to a shop that can fix it.

Dave_in_AZ, roshea, x1Heavy and 2 others Thank this.
  4. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Get it fixed!! Hazmat containment and clean up can be EXPENSIVE
    A drip in your opinion could be considered a SPILL in the DOT's opinion...

icemerg Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You will have a VERY expensive Hazmat incident sufficient to bankrupt your company.

If you want to wake up your company bosses in the morning, tell em your fuel is leaking. You will be fixed as soon as possible. BEFORE someone calls it in on you and them.

Its also a OOS. If your fuel is leaking right now call your company and ask where to take the truck right away to get that taken care of.

icemerg and roshea Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    You got a lot of chutzbah going over a scale with a leaking fuel tank. I believe, according to today's tree huggering DOT officers, that's a sin worse than all, leaking fuel, right up there with the Exxon Valdiz spill,,,:eek:

7. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    You will be put out of service because of a fuel leak.

I cant remember what the code was back in the 70's & 80's when I was a fire fighter & I am sure the codes have changed since then but, IIRC I think it had to be like a five gallon spill before hazmat was called. At a drop every 4 seconds, it'll be a while before it turns into 5 gallon spill but, again, you'll be out of service until you can have a roadside service to come out & fix it.
    Roadside service will need to bring a sack of oil dry to clean up the "less than" 5 gal spill.

Again, the codes could have changed since the 1980's, so I dont know what the codes are today. It could be one gallon for all I know. But a drip every 4 sec, for one hr, in my opinion wont get Haz-Mat on the scene. The main concern is run off & there wont be enough run off to be a qualifying hazard to call Haz-Mat.... per code. If someone knows or can find the answer on Google etc, please feel free to post.

jammer910Z Thanks this.
  8. Random truck guy

Random truck guy Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Short answer? It's a mandatory OOS. If found on an inspection.

Longer answer? Liquid fuels
    396.3(a)(1) page 49 of the north american standard out-of-service criteria.

Reference for 393.3(a)(1) page 435 FMCS REG BOOK.
    1. Parts and accessories shall be in safe and proper operating condition at all times, These include those specified in part 393 of this subchapter and any additional parts and accessories which may affect safety of operation, including but not limited to, frame and frame assemblies, suspension systems, axles and attaching parts, wheels and rims, and steering systems.

Real life results. Truck will end up out of service, if the repair guy you call can't fix it easily then you are looking at a fee for the fix it guy coming out, the hazmat company to drain the tanks. The tow fee to take the truck to the shop. Then the fee for the repairs.

It's not fun trust me.

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Someone told me, a quart of oil contaminates 1 million gallons of water. Not sure I believe that, heck, they used to throw fuel oil on our gravel roads to keep the dust and mosquitos down. All I know, I was told, if I ever had a line rupture, or ANY kind of leak, plug the leak fast and get the heck out of there.

The Gels and Grumppy Thank this.
  10. The Gels

The Gels Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2019
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    This interested me, so I went to look it up. I've found a source for a quarter million gallons or an oil slick almost 2 acres in size. Never would have thunk it.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  11. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    This may be true but its kinda like that letter you get from your municipal water company informing you that their tests found something in the water with about 40 letters to its name..... but its safe to drink cause its only one part per million (PPM), but they have to inform you by law.
    It may be true that a quart of oil will contaminate a 1/4 million gallons of water but if the truth is told, its so minute (miNUTE) that it wont ever make a difference.
    Its just numbers to the very extreme meant to make their case, which in the end, don't really make a dimes worth of difference.

201 and The Gels Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.