What would it take to get you to train?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Zata40, Mar 9, 2018.

1. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    If I could have students like this: 483B2F00-5AC8-4735-BD3F-F5EB4A6ECF26.jpeg :

tscottme, Zata40, homeskillet and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    I would ask for the following:

-complete control of the training process. I can end training at my discretion, no mandate to pass anyone. This includes discretion of whom I will train. I also want the ability to fast-track the good ones.

-no team driving at my discretion, and hourly pay while I’m training.

-12 cents per mile of the former students mileage for 6 months after they go solo.

Zata40, homeskillet and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    It would have to be a company truck, NOT mine. Not having some rookie tear up MY equipment while he learns.

I would NEVER be in the bunk while the student is driving...can't teach if you aren't aware of what's happening. Then again, I really don't care much for sleeper trucks...prefer day cabs...so that really wouldn't be an issue because there is no bunk in a day cab.

I'm a local guy, so training will be local. He can meet me at the yard every morning and we'll return there every night...or the company can pay for separate hotel rooms, and the same rule applies that I currently run under: Holiday Inn Express or better.

As for pay, I'd need a 2% bump in my base pay just for being on their list of "trainers" available for a student to be placed in my truck...and another 10% any time a student is actually on my truck.

I'm the captain of the ship. Don't push me, because I'm not pushing the student beyond what I feel they can handle. What I say goes in that regard. Don't second guess me from the office, or I'll toss you the keys and let you take over the training. There's a reason you want me training instead of doing it yourself, so let me do what you're paying me to do. Remember, I don't HAVE to train your new-hires.

TripleSix, Zata40 and homeskillet Thank this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Not going to tell us which company?

I trained. My stories are archived on here someplace, with most saying it was some of the best side splitting literature they've ever read, only it's a non fiction write, and I lived it.

Everyone has these great aspirations of taking the brilliant student.
    Lemme tell ya what happens when you're the good trainer, you get the people that no one else will take.
    Oh yes.

You probably project yourself onto what these students will be like ( What it would be like training yourself, or what you were like as a trainee ).

WRONG. LOL.

Just a sample....you're 2000 miles from the terminal, little Johnny has a 911 family emergency ( not really but that's his story ), and you and your DM are scrambling to get him to the bus station or airport.

Oh yes.

No amount of money. Save your sanity. Maybe save your life too, or someone elses.

Zata40 Thanks this.
  6. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Maybe a guarantee I get my own hotel room most nights.

Zata40 Thanks this.
  7. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Back in the day USX pulled me from my Pete & put me in a stripped down mid roof Frieghtliner. Man i hated that pos, anyway after about 2 months with less than 20,000mi on the odo the fuse box catches fire. I got towed to the dealer and it took them 3 days to rewire the truck. The problem is, they never resealed the windshield that was leaking into thd fuse box!!!

A week later i went thru trainer class...this ain’t brokeback trucking & ya can’t train in a single bunk :)

I got a 780, trained 2 people & said never ever again ever!!! But kept the 780 which was my goal anyway.

Zata40, homeskillet and VIDEODROME Thank this.
  8. jraulpilot1998

jraulpilot1998 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2014
    All over U.S.A
    Well... I see you are into something here. Not everyone that is a Teacher can really teach. Yo do have to have the inclination and Interest in conveying the knowledge that you posess to the other human being. I would recommend you read a Book called "Fundamentals of Instruction". That book will prepare you to convey all the information to a wide variety of humans that understand "things" in different ways. Rote learning for instance. Once you capture the Interest of that person to learn, you have their undivided attention and willingness to Learn. ...To be continued...
    (Got to get Unloaded)

Zata40 and TripleSix Thank this.
  9. Opendeck

Opendeck Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    What people forget, is that I wanted to be a truck driver. I started on small trucks and kept getting bigger. I wanted my CDL I went out and paid money to earn it.
    I'm not dodging welfare by trucking. It's an industry I researched and made the move into.
    The industry needs more drivers that don't need hand holding

Zata40 Thanks this.
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Same page. Not all of us are antisocial losers.

Zata40 Thanks this.
  11. jraulpilot1998

jraulpilot1998 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2014
    All over U.S.A
    So...Motivational Incentives for Tractor Trailer Instructor;
    1) 68 CPM FLAT Rate (loaded & empty)
    2) 10 % of student total income (over)
    3) SUNDAY OFF, No driving, No class, no nothing, just Off..Total (R&R)
    4) After one year Instructing, One week Vacation to an all Inclusive Resort spots around the Nation.
    5) A Bonus for each driver You've trained that went SOLO, and proved to be productive (6 months), with No Violations or Accidents. (Let's say.....$500.00 x driver/student.)
    6) A Certificate of Acomplishment for the action and goes to your DOT Scores.

Zata40 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.