What would you do if you can't do CDL job any longer, and you ain't young no more?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TallJoe, Jun 26, 2022.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Hypothetically ...
    You are over 50 and not quite sure about other trade skills undiscovered in you. You drove trucks the last 20-30 years and pretty much it is the only thing you know about.
    What would you do? What's left out there? What another career path this late in life?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Ever try your hand at operating equipment? Just pack a lunch box and in most cases you're home every night.

If you can get in at a mine a lot of those equipment operating jobs pay 6 figures and are on a shift rotation, so you'll get a few days off at a time.

4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
  5. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    I’d imagine one could land a decent job at a carrier doing a number of things..Safety dept? Monitor the nanny cams?

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  7. Lohse

Lohse Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2022
    Your Mom
    Buy a parcel of land in good grape growing country and start a vineyard. I'm shopping around for land for that purpose now. I do not want to be a truck driver for 10 years.

8. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Yeah, right, dispatch. I'd be fired in as long as took me tell the first driver to #### and do their job. Probably about 2 minutes. :oops:

9. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    A while back, I booked a load from JB Hunt, and the person in their brokerage was a fellow who said that he was an owner operator but recently he quit driving due to his leg problems.
    Similarly, I can distinguish some guys at C.H.Robinson with mature voices and I can feel in the way they talk that know some about trucking business and life, unlike those youn kids at other brokerages like Coyotes or TQL calling you "my man" or " bro".
    Maybe that would be not a bad continuation toward retirement, provided that salary is decent enough.

10. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Honestly, I'm not sure, and I have been wondering about it. At 55 I've still got 12 years to full social security and I don't think I have 12 years left in the tank for doing what I'm doing and I'm to old to try and reinvent myself again.

11. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I don't know....but I've asked myself that same question.

I used to be a bus mechanic, but I don't want to do that again.

Ideally, I'd like to go to Motorcycle Mechanics Institute and be a Harley-Davidson tech. Huge need for motorcycle techs.

I doubt it would pay as much as I make trucking, though. But it's a nice daydream.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.