What would you say is the hardest part about actually driving a truck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Timinator351P, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Timinator351P

Timinator351P Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2015
    What would you say is the hardest part about actually driving a truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Other road users not understanding the laws of physics. Trucks take longer to accelerate, slow down and need more room to manoeuvre...and it is the smaller car/motorcyclist/pedestrian that is going to come off worse if they tangle with one.

Apart from that, actually driving a truck is quite easy and at times, good fun.

4. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    backing into really tight docks... sometimes soooo tight you have to disconnect the truck and trailer afterwords because you're blocking the entire two lane road the dock is right on.
    been there done that what a pain :biggrin_25513:

Moon_beam Thanks this.
  5. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Parking.

Finding a place to park that isn't full, or some to call the police on you, or somewhere safe.

DocWatson and Moon_beam Thank this.
  6. RetiredUSN

RetiredUSN Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    I can't that any one thing was that difficult other than a some backing situations I ran into. But then again, I never was the best "backer" out there. I did my fair share of city deliveries.

1. Blind side backing off one way city streets into some docks that were built for trucks in the 1920's era.

2. Truck stops that charge for parking...... not a driving issue, but it ticked me off at times.

EZX1100 Thanks this.
  7. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    The women who constantly throw themselves at me and all the celebrity parties. Trying to decide to sleep with the blonde or the brunette, when I get off the road on home time if I'm going to drive the Lambo or the Bentley. Trucking is hard.

allniter, JRTBud87, rank and 16 others Thank this.
  8. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    A lot is hard. It is a job of sometimes manual labor. It is a job of loneliness, inconveniences, not having for instance a clean bathroom at your beckon call. Or your dinner served up fast, and hot, and good, and cheaply.

It is a job that frankly, is for MEN and WOMEN, and not sissies or wimps, or whiners, or cry babies.

it is a job that one MUST CONCENTRATE and BE ALERT 1000% of the time, even MORE SO in inclement weather conditions. It is a job of quick, and SAFE decisions that can mean the difference in life, death or serious crashes if the decisions are made hastily.

It is a job that REQUIRES one to have a somewhat "normal" IQ, and understanding. Understating of communication, understanding of patience, understanding of the human element and it's faults. Understanding on how to work around those faults in as a professional manner as all possible under severe conditions, and times of self doubt and self limitations.

It is a job for not the strongest of stomach, but it is a job that when you see death, desctruction, and carnage, that you move on and thank your God you had lived another day.

It is a job that you MUST respect YOUR limitations, as no one is an island, no one is Superman, Wonder Woman or The Incredible Hulk.

It is a job that will sicken you and you MUST continue on despite your desire to hold back and weep at the carnage you just witnessed.

It is a job in which YOU MUST respect the mountains, the weather, other peoples lives, no matter your thoughts on how you think you have all your rights to the road.

It is a job in which you EARN the privilege to obtain a CDL, and act as a professional as much as you can, no matter what others say or do, or get away with, as those are the ones you NEVER want to model yourself after.

SO what is the hardest part of actually driving a truck?

Everything becomes hardest, when YOU FAIL.

9. RetiredUSN

Jan 9, 2015

You stud! :biggrin_25525:

joseph1135 Thanks this.
  10. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Finding a good company that meets your needs as a driver. Took me close to twenty years to find one, hopefully your luck will be better.

Starboyjim Thanks this.
  11. RetiredUSN

Jan 9, 2015

Well put, you mention many things that I took as second nature. I was always a big on "situational awareness" .............. and never letting my ego override my abilities.

Starboyjim and G.Anthony Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.