what year trucks do yall run

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Fullforce, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA

I can think of a lot of ways to get the tax write-offs without spending money on a new truck, or even spending a ton on my used truck. That is what retirement accounts and health savings accounts are for. You keep the money and Uncle doesn't tax it. Kinda hard to justify spending a dollar to save 20 cents in tax.

SHC Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    That's what i heard. all I've seen people talk about glider kits are from Pete or FL. Thanks for the info. I got a brochure a week ago from the dealership in marshfield near our terminal. They told me the 2012+ lonestars won't have an engine option, it will only cone with the international maxxforce 13 475hp. No more cummins. That's from the salesman telling me that, and in the new brochure that's the only engine listed.

I love the looks of the lonestar, but I wouldn't want the maxxforce engine.

4. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I had the money to pay cash for the Star, but it was more of a tax advantage to have "lease" payments on it and write them off. I get more of a write off than the depreciation. i put $10,000 down to cover some up-front cost and the rest is on the lease. I doubt I could ever justify a brand new truck, but lord I would love to have one. Especially if I could see 7.5mpg like most are with the ISX motors.

5. jess-juju

jess-juju Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Shelbyville TN
    But do you really want all the expensive repairs?

Have a friend who had a 2010 386 Pete with the ISX and they went through three turbo's and had countless other problems with it!

6. Yeah, the guy who parks next to me in our yard has an '09 with EGR and DPF. It has been in the shop more since it was new than my '96 Shaker has since I got it in 2004. The down time, and especially the tows, are enough to make me know that I'll never own one.

He told me the other day that he found out that one of the reasons he has been towed so many times is that part of the EPA's mandate is that when the DPF system malfunctions to a certain level, it's not compliant with the emission standards and the engine will shut down until it's fixed and compliant.

That means that a lot of the time his truck was shut down and needed towed, it would've ran, but the government said it was too dirty and needed to be shut down until compliant with EPA's standards. What's funny about that particular story, and instructive concerning government interference and unintended consequences, is that the tow company that tows him in uses a 1984 359 Pete that has stacks you could put grain augers in and blows lots of thick, dark, black smoke. :biggrin_2559: So, because the new truck has emissions that are too dirty to meet the government's idiotic mandates, it's required to be towed in by a decades old piece of equipment that is far less "green" than the truck it's towing. Stupid.

7. fishhook

fishhook Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2008
    OH
    Amazing how "Govenment" and "unintended consequences" always seems to go together, yet those in charge never seem to see the correlation :violent1:

SHC and HaulnHorses Thank this.
  8. HaulnHorses

HaulnHorses Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2008
    I finance my new trucks as a "lease" with $1 buyout. All "lease" payments are a writeoff. Not all new trucks are in the shop all the time. I have 2 with over 300K and the 2012 has 60K and have never seen a shop other then for PM's.

SHC Thanks this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    the govt got that way of green think from california.

they keep us at 55. and want skirts so that we don't use as much fuel. yet the 07's are rolling through there state. sucking down twice as much gas as the rest of us.

the majorities of 07 and 08 are gas guzllers. BAD.

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    And studies have shown sideskirts to be most effective at helping with wind resistance at 63mph yet trucks are limited to 55mph there.

11. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    By the time you figure the interest on your "lease" payments you probably have gained nothing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.