What's it like being a driver for farms and ranches?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Ddr1992 579, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Ddr1992 579

Ddr1992 579 Medium Load Member

Sep 10, 2018
    What type of trucks do they normally run? Is it mainly 1 ton trucks and flatbed trailers or do some also use tractor trailers? What stuff do they haul?

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Colt6920

Colt6920 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2017
    Highly dependent on farm, region, and what they produce.

Grain typically is hauled in grain trucks. Usually a semi and a grain trailer but sometimes a big straight truck. Fruits and vegetables usually semi trailer and double trailers sometimes flatbed straight or semi.

Hay is often OTR sleeper single axle tractor and flatbed doubles. Pretty oddball setup.

Livestock is pretty obvious, semi with stock trailer.

They might also have you haul seed or chemicals. Or whatever they need done that day.

Upinsmoke and OldeSkool Thank this.
  4. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I've never heard of anybody having a full time job driving for a farmer or rancher. I suppose in some parts of the US there are some but not here. My brother worked for two different farmers hauling grain to the mill in harvest time, but most of the year he was a farm hand doing whatever needed done.

In Arkansas a lot of people might get a start in trucking with a farmer because they don't need a CDL. My brother said his lightest load for the year was over 90,000 pounds and his trailer brakes didn't work. Not really the type of job you'd want to do full time. Like I said though, farming is so different everywhere its hard to say.

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  5. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    what was he doing, flinstoning the rig to a stop?

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Ive been around farming and ranching my entire life... Rarely do they hire some one to do nothing but drive. On most farms and ranches driving is just a very small part of the job... And every one I've ever worked for you must be able to maintain and repair the equipment yourself.

Often times the equipment is old and rather run down, sometimes it's flat out not road worthy by DOT standards. But some have pretty nice equipment mixed in with the older stuff.

Here are a couple pics of 2 trucks I drove for a rancher several years ago. He had several bullracks, 2 A-train flatbeds, and very old bevertail lowboy. Now he has an old tanker as well.

0712131729.jpg 0218131638.jpg

He also had an old (early 70s) Mack Dump truck with a 14 yard bed, and a very old belly dump pup trailer.

7. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    In the florida orangegroves they drive schoolbusses with the roofs cut off and no se habla ingles.

Woodys, Upinsmoke, clausland and 3 others Thank this.
  8. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Something like that. I guess thats why those old farm trucks only run about 45 mph.

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Just like regular driving only more... fragrant.

10. rcelmo

rcelmo Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2015
    There are a few large "corporate" farms that hire drivers......but, most are 1099's....no insurance.
    Trucks won't be anything to special...…..if you see super nice farm trucks they are usually an older
    semi-retired farmer......just drives a truck for something to do.

If you want to drive rural.....work for farms, etc.....there are quite a few trucking companies that
    haul pretty much exclusively for farms/ranches. Hopper bottoms, bull racks, milk tankers, etc. Some
    of these companies have pretty decent equipment.....decent benefits, pay W-2, health insurance, etc.

They prefer drivers with some experience.....guys with some common sense......flip flops, steering wheel
    holders need not apply. They look for guys with leather boots, long pants, tool bag in the truck, pliers on
    your belt and know how to use tools.

11. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Low pay,long hours.

Upinsmoke and FoolsErrand Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.