Whats It Like Driving Your First Time !

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by crazyclown101, Sep 25, 2007.

1. crazyclown101

crazyclown101 Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2007
    maryland
    Just wanted to know from anyone whats it like learning and driving your first time !!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jonny1

Jonny1 Medium Load Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I can only speak for me, it was very humbling & frustrating......but the more you do it the better you get, just like all new skill. Jon

4. Truckin Juggalo

Truckin Juggalo Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Madisonville, TN
    i remember my 1st time out i was real nervous, and it felt like my truck was too big to fit in the lane and it was stressful for my 1st day and it just gets better over time as you develop your comfort zone

5. crazyclown101

Aug 3, 2007
    maryland
    do u drive over the road or local ? another question im doing flat bed and going to be home on weekends is that better u think then being home only like 3 or 4 days aweek

6. crazyclown101

Aug 3, 2007
    maryland
    sorry i mean 3 or 4 days a month

7. Truckin Juggalo

Truckin Juggalo Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Madisonville, TN
    I drive OTR I'm out 6 weeks and go home for 6-7 days depending but 6 day minimum, its a long time away from home but i enjoy the whole week off and also staying out that long this year has raised my annual gross to over 50k, but it all comes at a sacrifice which I'm not willing to make much longer soon as my debt is paid off change is coming... its very tough on your spouse my wife lives by herself 300+ days a year...

on the positive side i get preferential treatment from my dispatcher and account manager because I'm always around and i talk to them on the phone daily, i do favor's for them and they hook me up with enough miles to make 1k a week minimum

8. Etosha

Etosha World Citizen

Aug 19, 2007
    Edmonton, AB
    Crazyclown, I remember my first day... white knuckles, terrified. First turn I took out some plastic corner markers. Wow, that trailer seemed so big (53').
    I remember my trainer offering me a green bean to nibble on, and I wanted to puke at the thought of taking my hand off the wheel long enough to even just grab the vegetable!
    Now, I drive the truck just as if I was driving in my car!

9. ssbowles

ssbowles Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2007
    High Desert,CA
    Well, what was it like the first time you drove a car? Or rode a bike? Like any other new activity, it's gonna be a wild ride, but even more so in a truck. 14' tall 70' long and 10' wide, weighing at up to 80000 pounds. Holy cow, that's HUGE!
    But, you know what? I'm more cozy driving around in my truck than I am in a car.
    First few times behind the wheel is pretty wild, but you get over the nerves and it becomes second nature.

10. longbedGTs

longbedGTs Heavy Load Member

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    My first time driving amongst traffic was 2 weeks ago! I tried to keep cool but I will admit that I was nervous. I did find it difficult to maintain my lane. With a car, you have alot of room to move in your lane. With a truck, you will wander once before you go off the road.(Im talking about narrow lanes) No, I never went off the road, but I came close a few times.
    The toughest part was getting used to being so close to oncoming traffic or traffic going in your same direction.
    Its humbling to say the least. Youll see some of the absolutely stupidest things youve seen in your life. Its mind boggling how some people get through their day pulling the stunts they pull in their commute.
    My first was in the right turn lane obviously turning right. There was just enough room for a 4 wheeler to squeeze by. Ill let you figure out the rest. Yes, I had my blinker on. No, there was no accident as I was watching their every move. Lesson, dont give 'em an inch or you can bet theyll take it! :biggrin_25516:

11. Mklangelo

Mklangelo Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin

1000 miles per week is ok with you?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.